The Student Room Group

Moving to SAAS from SFE

Hiya,

I had a query...I'm in a bit of a strange predicament in that whilst in my first year I was technically studying in Scotland with an out-of-term address in England, Scotland is now my home i.e my only address. I live here full-time apart from occasional visits/trips etc and fully intend to continue living/working here for the foreseeable future.

Essentially I am a care-experienced student with a difficult relationship with my mum - my only living parent - who lives in England (though am not quite fully estranged in line with government definitions), so this is where I live and have made my home... I don't see myself moving back to England/don't plan to, at least not in the years imminently post my degree (I obviously don't know for certain where my future job will be - I am a dual Australian citizen so am considering doing my MA there) as the routines I have and foundations+community I have built up here are completely my life. Scotland is my home now, I genuinely don't know how else to explain it.

I was speaking to someone in my uni 's admin last year about my situation and they said given that I don't live in England at all anymore I should look into applying through SAAS (especially as I think SFE might not even accept me for next year now as I'm not using the English Address I used when I came)... It took me a year to even look into it eek...

Just not sure??? Any help is really appreciated! I am also going to talk to SAAS tomorrow hopefully but was wondering if anyone had any experience with this...

Thanks so much!
Original post by lmgreynolds
Hiya,
I had a query...I'm in a bit of a strange predicament in that whilst in my first year I was technically studying in Scotland with an out-of-term address in England, Scotland is now my home i.e my only address. I live here full-time apart from occasional visits/trips etc and fully intend to continue living/working here for the foreseeable future.
Essentially I am a care-experienced student with a difficult relationship with my mum - my only living parent - who lives in England (though am not quite fully estranged in line with government definitions), so this is where I live and have made my home... I don't see myself moving back to England/don't plan to, at least not in the years imminently post my degree (I obviously don't know for certain where my future job will be - I am a dual Australian citizen so am considering doing my MA there) as the routines I have and foundations+community I have built up here are completely my life. Scotland is my home now, I genuinely don't know how else to explain it.
I was speaking to someone in my uni 's admin last year about my situation and they said given that I don't live in England at all anymore I should look into applying through SAAS (especially as I think SFE might not even accept me for next year now as I'm not using the English Address I used when I came)... It took me a year to even look into it eek...
Just not sure??? Any help is really appreciated! I am also going to talk to SAAS tomorrow hopefully but was wondering if anyone had any experience with this...
Thanks so much!

If you are currently studying in Scotland from living in England I think that SFE will still fund your coursework until you have completed it ( although you are living in Scotland)....
Usually if SFE is currently paying your course fees etc for doing a course in Scotland then they are technically still responsible for your course fees etc......
Similarly situation for people who lives in Scotland but go and study at a English university ( if the person applied for the English university via SAAS ) then SAAS will fully pay the person university fees etc and and award them student loans - if this makes sense to you).

Contact SAAS and ask them about this situation you have got now and see what they say about it okay 😄 😄.

Scottish resident who went to a Scottish university for degree with the Scottish government paying my university fees and getting NHS bursary from SAAS.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending