The Student Room Group

Is it ok to quit my job for the summer before uni?

I currently work full-time but I kind of want to just quit for the summer and have more free time for fun stuff. I’ve not really got any concrete plans but I’m thinking of going travelling or volunteering, joining clubs, etc. Do you think it’s ok to just quit my job for the summer? I’m so worried about explaining to my coworkers that I’m basically choosing to be unemployed for the next 4 months. And I’m so worried about how I’m going to hand my notice in! I’m almost scared of quitting haha.

Also I don’t want to **** all my money up the wall before uni without any income coming in but my logic is I’ll just get a part-time job somewhere for a while if I need to earn more. Idk if this is a good idea so I’d really appreciate your guys’ advice.
depends where u work but if u stay they might be able to transfer u to a different branch near ur uni which would save a lot of hassle getting another job. but ofc if u want that free time i think you should go for it :smile:
Original post by laurie_123
I currently work full-time but I kind of want to just quit for the summer and have more free time for fun stuff. I’ve not really got any concrete plans but I’m thinking of going travelling or volunteering, joining clubs, etc. Do you think it’s ok to just quit my job for the summer? I’m so worried about explaining to my coworkers that I’m basically choosing to be unemployed for the next 4 months. And I’m so worried about how I’m going to hand my notice in! I’m almost scared of quitting haha.

Also I don’t want to **** all my money up the wall before uni without any income coming in but my logic is I’ll just get a part-time job somewhere for a while if I need to earn more. Idk if this is a good idea so I’d really appreciate your guys’ advice.

I did this to cap off my gap year. I wanted to relax over the summer and do my own stuff so I handed in my resignation and went travelling around the UK during the summer and enjoying life. I tried not to spend all my money (I had saved less than I anticipated) and, well, I didn't use it all and still had a little bit of money left over for uni. :smile:

Make sure to hand in your notice as set out in your contract (you usually need to give four week's notice). You'll need to send an email to leave a written copy of your resignation - I had to send this to both my boss and the general office email.

Enjoy your summer! :biggrin:

Quick Reply