The Student Room Group

I don’t like my uni and I don’t know what to do

Hello all. I’m currently a student studying mental health nursing at the university of Suffolk. I really like my course, my friends and lecturers although things can be disorganised at times. At the same time I don’t like being here. I thought I’d be okay before Christmas and settle down but it hasn’t been that way. I’ve made friends, but the town the place I just don’t like it at all. The day before I leave to go uni after the holidays I cry because I don’t want to go. I don’t know why I made the decision to go to a uni 2 hours away. I should e went somewhere that was closer to home, which my dad told me but I didn’t listen and I regret it a lot. Now I don’t know what to do. I’ve been searching for unis like Oxford Brooke’s or the open uni which are the only two unis I have in mind. I like my course and I just want to transfer the second year if possible.
Sorry for my ramble.
Original post by Anonymous
Hello all. I’m currently a student studying mental health nursing at the university of Suffolk. I really like my course, my friends and lecturers although things can be disorganised at times. At the same time I don’t like being here. I thought I’d be okay before Christmas and settle down but it hasn’t been that way. I’ve made friends, but the town the place I just don’t like it at all. The day before I leave to go uni after the holidays I cry because I don’t want to go. I don’t know why I made the decision to go to a uni 2 hours away. I should e went somewhere that was closer to home, which my dad told me but I didn’t listen and I regret it a lot. Now I don’t know what to do. I’ve been searching for unis like Oxford Brooke’s or the open uni which are the only two unis I have in mind. I like my course and I just want to transfer the second year if possible.
Sorry for my ramble.

Pls can you help me bk to school 🙏
Sorry for my ramble.

Why not contact the admissions people for the same course at Oxford Brookes? I changed universities and started my second year at a different uni. I think as long as what you've studied in year one is relevant to the course you want to do nearer home, then they might just say that you need to pass your first year and can transfer That's what happened with me.
Reply 3
Why not contact the admissions people for the same course at Oxford Brookes? I changed universities and started my second year at a different uni. I think as long as what you've studied in year one is relevant to the course you want to do nearer home, then they might just say that you need to pass your first year and can transfer That's what happened with me.
Thank you will do that.
What made you move universities and what was the process like.
Sorry for my ramble.

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear that you are struggling with this. It can be really difficult to realize something isn't for you, but it is great that you are reaching out for help and advice.

I'd recommend that you reach out to your current university's support and well-being services, as well as the careers support and your personal academic tutor (if you have one). These people can support you through any questions and queries you have, do some research with you, and create an action plan to layout your next steps.

Transferring to a different university might be the best option for you, so it is great that you have already identified some options. I'd urge you to keep searching, look at each aspect of the specific courses, and visit the campus if you are able to.

It is also important to remember to take care of yourself as you go through this tough time. Do your research, take some time to prioritize your mental health and well-being, and remember that it'll all work out!

I hope this helps and best of luck,

Isabella
Third-year Geography with a Year Abroad Student
Reply 5
Thank you will do that.
What made you move universities and what was the process like.

I wanted to be at home as didn’t like being away. So contacted my local uni and explained that I wanted to transfer and would it be possible. They said that I just needed to pass my first year at my current uni and they would accept me. It was straightforward. I think if it’s a competitive course it might be harder, but mine had places. Good luck.
Sorry for my ramble.

HI there,

Sorry to hear you have been feeling like this this year.

I would get in contact with your personal tutor if you have one and arrange a meeting with them. You can discuss with them how you feel and they can help you to come up with a plan to overcome this, and see if transferring is the best idea. You can also talk to your university well-being team as they are there to help you and can help you with things like transferring university. Your uni help team is also there to assist with this!

Following this, I would look into the university's that you are thinking of transferring to. Maybe go to an open day for Oxford brooks and see if you actually like the university as it is important to know this before you transfer! If there are no open days coming up, you could call them and see if you can do a campus tour, or accommodation tour as this will give you a good idea if you like the university as if you don't then it is not worth transferring! With the open university, it's worth trying to get in contact with people who do your course there as this will give you an idea of whether you would enjoy the course there as this is important too!

You could also get in contact with Oxford Brooks and the Open university and see what the process is like on their end- e.g. do you need a certain grade to be able to transfer, would you be able to transfer to second year or would you be in first year. These are important questions to ask as this could affect your decision to move universities.

You could then get in contact with the course leader for Oxford Brooks and open uni and chat to them about what the modules will be, what the assessments will be like and whether you like the sound of the course. If you do, then it's worth starting the process as your happiness is most important and this would make you happy it is a good idea to transfer!

I hope this helps,

Lucy -SHU student ambassador.
Reply 7
Original post by hallamstudents
HI there,
Sorry to hear you have been feeling like this this year.
I would get in contact with your personal tutor if you have one and arrange a meeting with them. You can discuss with them how you feel and they can help you to come up with a plan to overcome this, and see if transferring is the best idea. You can also talk to your university well-being team as they are there to help you and can help you with things like transferring university. Your uni help team is also there to assist with this!
Following this, I would look into the university's that you are thinking of transferring to. Maybe go to an open day for Oxford brooks and see if you actually like the university as it is important to know this before you transfer! If there are no open days coming up, you could call them and see if you can do a campus tour, or accommodation tour as this will give you a good idea if you like the university as if you don't then it is not worth transferring! With the open university, it's worth trying to get in contact with people who do your course there as this will give you an idea of whether you would enjoy the course there as this is important too!
You could also get in contact with Oxford Brooks and the Open university and see what the process is like on their end- e.g. do you need a certain grade to be able to transfer, would you be able to transfer to second year or would you be in first year. These are important questions to ask as this could affect your decision to move universities.
You could then get in contact with the course leader for Oxford Brooks and open uni and chat to them about what the modules will be, what the assessments will be like and whether you like the sound of the course. If you do, then it's worth starting the process as your happiness is most important and this would make you happy it is a good idea to transfer!
I hope this helps,
Lucy -SHU student ambassador.
Hello thank you for your response. I’m currently in touch with my unis wellbeing team. I’m still contemplating this decision. I’m very introverted which also contributes to this. My friends don’t want me to leave. I don’t know.

I’ve emailed both unis and see what they’ll respond with
Hi there,

We are sorry to hear about your situation but it's good that you are seeking help. Please know that we are here to help and support you.

We understand this is a big decision and want to help you make an informed choice. We recommend visiting the campus/city to help you decide if our university is right for you. For more information on our Open Days, please see this link.

If you do decide you want to transfer to us we would encourage you to submit an application to us so we can assess your eligibility for the course. You can find out more information about how to make a credit entry application via this link.

Please know that you are not alone in this process. If you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out to us.

Best wishes,
Shannon
Admissions Office
Oxford Brookes University

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending