The Student Room Group

coursework plagiarism

hey guys, i don’t do any coursework subjects but my best friend does - long story’s short she has about 10% plagiarism in her edexcel eng coursework (completely accidental, submitted an old draft that hadn’t removed the copy paste out). just wondering how the exam boards spot plagiarism and if she’s ****ed lol, she hasn’t signed a declaration btw, she also only submitted one draft due to it being late

ps pls don’t give me a speech about how wrong plagiarism is - trust me, she knows, it was completely accidental and was fully edited out in her intended final draft, but she just missed it and forgot to swap it
Original post by meowmeowm
hey guys, i don’t do any coursework subjects but my best friend does - long story’s short she has about 10% plagiarism in her edexcel eng coursework (completely accidental, submitted an old draft that hadn’t removed the copy paste out). just wondering how the exam boards spot plagiarism and if she’s ****ed lol, she hasn’t signed a declaration btw, she also only submitted one draft due to it being late

ps pls don’t give me a speech about how wrong plagiarism is - trust me, she knows, it was completely accidental and was fully edited out in her intended final draft, but she just missed it and forgot to swap it

The non-exam assessment isn't marked by Edexcel, it's marked by her school / college. It's therefore their responsibility to identify plagiarism. Often this will be spotted simply by knowing a particular student's writing style or ability, and coming across work that doesn't match these expectations. However, schools / colleges are encouraged to use plagiarism checkers too.

Once the work has been marked, and those marks have undergone standardisation within the school / college (in case different teachers would mark the same piece differently), Edexcel will choose some at random for the moderation process (to allow for the fact that different schools / colleges will mark differently). It's unclear whether Edexcel would pass each received piece through a plagiarism checker themselves too.

You say, "she has about 10% plagiarism in her edexcel eng coursework". How have you established that? By passing it through a plagiarism checker yourself?

Given that she submitted the work late, I suspect the school will take the view that what she submitted was the final piece. If they were to allow her submit another version later, then that would give her an unfair advantage.

If she hasn't yet signed a declaration saying it's all her own work, what is she planning on doing when she's asked to do so?
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
The non-exam assessment isn't marked by Edexcel, it's marked by her school / college. It's therefore their responsibility to identify plagiarism. Often this will be spotted simply by knowing a particular student's writing style or ability, and coming across work that doesn't match these expectations. However, schools / colleges are encouraged to use plagiarism checkers too.
Once the work has been marked, and those marks have undergone standardisation within the school / college (in case different teachers would mark the same piece differently), Edexcel will choose some at random for the moderation process (to allow for the fact that different schools / colleges will mark differently). It's unclear whether Edexcel would pass each received piece through a plagiarism checker themselves too.
You say, "she has about 10% plagiarism in her edexcel eng coursework". How have you established that? By passing it through a plagiarism checker yourself?
Given that she submitted the work late, I suspect the school will take the view that what she submitted was the final piece. If they were to allow her submit another version later, then that would give her an unfair advantage.
If she hasn't yet signed a declaration saying it's all her own work, what is she planning on doing when she's asked to do so?

hi, thank you for getting back to us! her work was marked by 2 teachers i believe, and they’ve already given her a final internal mark. their eng class is really small so apparently all of their work will go for moderation to the exam board

she found out about the plagiarism when she paid for a turnitin checker and put it through (after submission). she had been using the free ones online (bc we are broke students lol and a level students don’t have access to turnitin) and she had put it through every checker she could find online, all of which saying 100% original work.

she’s not sure what to do when they ask her to sign a declaration. apparently because she hasn’t signed one, the teachers can’t yet report her to the exam board for plagiarism and have to deal with it internally as a school. in my opinion, the risk of moderators using turnitin is really high so it’s not worth it to just submit and hope for the best. but she’s worried the teachers already handed it in without her declaration, so idk it’s a complicated situation but she’s a really really good student never gets in trouble so i hope this gets resolved somehow. especially cause she put it through sm plagiarism checkers (she even showed me lol) and they all said 100% original, so she didn’t pick up on anything
hi, thank you for getting back to us! her work was marked by 2 teachers i believe, and they’ve already given her a final internal mark. their eng class is really small so apparently all of their work will go for moderation to the exam board

she found out about the plagiarism when she paid for a turnitin checker and put it through (after submission). she had been using the free ones online (bc we are broke students lol and a level students don’t have access to turnitin) and she had put it through every checker she could find online, all of which saying 100% original work.

she’s not sure what to do when they ask her to sign a declaration. apparently because she hasn’t signed one, the teachers can’t yet report her to the exam board for plagiarism and have to deal with it internally as a school. in my opinion, the risk of moderators using turnitin is really high so it’s not worth it to just submit and hope for the best. but she’s worried the teachers already handed it in without her declaration, so idk it’s a complicated situation but she’s a really really good student never gets in trouble so i hope this gets resolved somehow. especially cause she put it through sm plagiarism checkers (she even showed me lol) and they all said 100% original, so she didn’t pick up on anything

I was just trying to think through what her options might be, putting myself in the position of one of her teachers (who she'd need to explain this to) when I realised that her teachers (and indeed the exam board) might be suspicious of a couple of things.

1. You said above that she "submitted an old draft that hadn’t removed the copy paste out". So she did initially plagiarise at least some of the content, with the intention of rewording / rephrasing it to make it her own. To plagiarise something is to take someone else's work or idea and pass it off as your own. Paraphrasing without crediting the original author is a form of plagiarism, because you're presenting someone else's ideas as if they were yours.
2. She knew that she may not have sufficiently "hidden" the original source (by paraphrasing the original) as that's why she "put it through sm plagiarism checkers". Even then, she wasn't 100% sure, which is why "she paid for a turnitin checker and put it through".

So when she explains how it came to be that her draft contains plagiarism but her final version didn't, she'd effectively admitting that the ideas contained within "her" work have been lifted from elsewhere, even if the exact words have not.

Given the above her teachers and/or the exam board might take the view that the version she handed in wasn't actually a draft at all, but was her finished work. It was only when she realised that Turnitin spotted the plagiarism that she re-worked some pieces, and so produced the amended version which she now claiming is the version she meant to submit all along.

Of course, I'm not saying that this is what happened. But this is what they well think has happened. So she needs to be prepared for that accusation.
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia
I was just trying to think through what her options might be, putting myself in the position of one of her teachers (who she'd need to explain this to) when I realised that her teachers (and indeed the exam board) might be suspicious of a couple of things.
1. You said above that she "submitted an old draft that hadn’t removed the copy paste out". So she did initially plagiarise at least some of the content, with the intention of rewording / rephrasing it to make it her own. To plagiarise something is to take someone else's work or idea and pass it off as your own. Paraphrasing without crediting the original author is a form of plagiarism, because you're presenting someone else's ideas as if they were yours.
2. She knew that she may not have sufficiently "hidden" the original source (by paraphrasing the original) as that's why she "put it through sm plagiarism checkers". Even then, she wasn't 100% sure, which is why "she paid for a turnitin checker and put it through".
So when she explains how it came to be that her draft contains plagiarism but her final version didn't, she'd effectively admitting that the ideas contained within "her" work have been lifted from elsewhere, even if the exact words have not.
Given the above her teachers and/or the exam board might take the view that the version she handed in wasn't actually a draft at all, but was her finished work. It was only when she realised that Turnitin spotted the plagiarism that she re-worked some pieces, and so produced the amended version which she now claiming is the version she meant to submit all along.
Of course, I'm not saying that this is what happened. But this is what they well think has happened. So she needs to be prepared for that accusation.

yeah i said the same thing, it’s gonna look bad!! however she did actually intend to reference it, which is why she put it into the plagiarism checkers so many times in case there’s something she hadn’t referenced yet. there’s references all throughout her coursework and she never wanted to pass it off as her own words, but instead wanted to embed referenced quotes from the work she copy pasted.
Reply 5
yeah i said the same thing, it’s gonna look bad!! however she did actually intend to reference it, which is why she put it into the plagiarism checkers so many times in case there’s something she hadn’t referenced yet. there’s references all throughout her coursework and she never wanted to pass it off as her own words, but instead wanted to embed referenced quotes from the work she copy pasted.

sorry not sure if i’ve explained this well

sorry not sure if i’ve explained this well

Ah, so you're saying it's a referencing issue? The work and ideas which have been lifted from elsewhere are supposed to be there, they've just not been referenced correctly?

That seems a little different from what you said originally, which was that she "submitted an old draft that hadn’t removed the copy paste out". Hopefully she'll be able to persuade someone that this is all legit and above board.

If the only change between the marked version and the version she should have submitted is a reference or two, then I'd have thought her school would accept that it's an accidental omission, which she has alerted them to (but which they missed themselves) and allow her to have the referenced version submitted to the exam board for moderation.

I think this is her only option really. She can't sign the declaration that it's all her own work as it stands. And her school (presumably) won't submit her mark until she signs that declaration. Do you know what deadline the school are working to in terms if submitting her mark? It wouldn't surprise me if it's very soon (mid-May).
Reply 7
essentially, yeah - i hadn’t read her work when i made the first post so was just posting based on what she told me (quite incoherently might i add because she was so stressed lol)

In her first ‘draft’ she had copy pasted in quotes to use as her supporting arguments - but it’s important to note this wasn’t a draft to ever be marked / submitted / given feedback on - it looks like she’d been using that document to add in notes and stuff so that everything was in one place, eventually lost track of stuff - good lesson to learn, she’s spoken to her teacher and should be all good hopefully he’s trying to sort it for her! deadline is 15 may for mark submission so hopefully the week is enough to sort things

thanks so much for your replies dude!
essentially, yeah - i hadn’t read her work when i made the first post so was just posting based on what she told me (quite incoherently might i add because she was so stressed lol)

In her first ‘draft’ she had copy pasted in quotes to use as her supporting arguments - but it’s important to note this wasn’t a draft to ever be marked / submitted / given feedback on - it looks like she’d been using that document to add in notes and stuff so that everything was in one place, eventually lost track of stuff - good lesson to learn, she’s spoken to her teacher and should be all good hopefully he’s trying to sort it for her! deadline is 15 may for mark submission so hopefully the week is enough to sort things

thanks so much for your replies dude!

I'm glad her teacher looks to be sorting it all out for her. :crossedf:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending