The Student Room Group

choosing my firm - help!! edin vs durham vs ucl

I have offers for History from Edinburgh, Durham, Warwick and UCL

My heart is honestly set on Edinburgh after the offer holder day - I loved the city so, so much and I love their History Course. However, my concerns are about the extra debt due to the 4 year course as opposed to the other 3 year courses and also ranking to an extent - it is number 15 for history, in comparison to my other offers which are higher, but generally it is ranked similarly to my other offers. Would this really impact my experience and graduate prospects?

My parents are telling me that I am being irrational and that UCL will give me better graduate prospects and London is a better location to study history in, and if not UCL, I should choose Durham since it is ranked so highly for history. However, I am from London and I really want to go to a new city to have a better uni experience. I like Durham and Warwick's course, but I wasn't really a fan of their location in comparison to Edinburgh.

Am I being short-sighted and irrational? Will the extra £9k of student debt significantly affect my finances in the future - I was under the impression that most people don't pay off their student debt anyways? Would my career prospects be significantly improved by going to Durham or UCL instead?
(edited 1 month ago)
Your career chances will not be greatly impacted by choosing Edinburgh over UCL - for a degree like History its not going to make much difference in eventual career terms. You really need to think about which course you prefer and where you will feel happiest.
Rankings are almost entirely irrelevant in every way. No employer cares, no postgraduate admission team cares. Do not, under any circumstances, use that as the foundation for your choice - especially when considering three excellent universities.

The debt is a relevant concern, if you suspect you will ever actually pay it back. Whether or not you want to live in London, whether you want a campus university experience, whether each university offers modules cognate with your specific interests are all relevant concerns. Go where you believe you will be happy because you are likely to perform better there.
Reply 3
I was also torn between UCL and Edinburgh Uni.

After much consideration, I went for UCL. One of the most decisive factors to drop Edinburgh Uni was spending ONE year extra! Many of my school mates were also moving to Uni around London so wanted to be with them also and make new friends plus few cities can beat the fun in London city! Faculty is amazing, very resourceful. Lots of fun on the campus, great facilities and accommodation is expensive but good standard. Great food choices available around the campus!

Any debt (especially one year extra of tuition fees + living) will affect your finances. You can’t run away from debt unless you plan to migrate to Antarctica !
So, do consider Extra year + UCL ranking + school friends + new friends + Amazing Lon City Life 😊
Original post by vanyaaaaaaaa

My heart is honestly set on Edinburgh after the offer holder day - I loved the city so, so much and I love their History Course. However, my concerns are about the extra debt due to the 4 year course as opposed to the other 3 year courses and also ranking to an extent - it is number 15 for history, in comparison to my other offers which are higher, but generally it is ranked similarly to my other offers. Would this really impact my experience and graduate prospects?

My parents are telling me that I am being irrational and that UCL will give me better graduate prospects and London is a better location to study history in, and if not UCL, I should choose Durham since it is ranked so highly for history. However, I am from London and I really want to go to a new city to have a better uni experience. I like Durham and Warwick's course, but I wasn't really a fan of their location in comparison to Edinburgh.

Am I being short-sighted and irrational? Will the extra £9k of student debt significantly affect my finances in the future - I was under the impression that most people don't pay off their student debt anyways? Would my career prospects be significantly improved by going to Durham or UCL instead?

Once you start to repay your student loan, the amount you pay is based on what you earn not how much you have borrowed, so you will pay the same amount back each month whether you study for three years or four. Whether you will pay off your loan or not by the end of the 40-year period will depend on your earnings over that time. If you are a high earner, you probably will - if you earn a low salary, you might not. It's probably not worth worrying about that extra year of finance at this point and just choose the best course for you.

Realistically unless you make bank or your parents bank roll part of your time at uni you're never paying off the debt - think of it more as a graduate tax. The unis are all well respected and so if you're worried about carer prospects its more about the course and if you'll be happy at that uni, which having the liberty of being away from home will help with.

If it helps, I firmed Durham and put Edinburgh for my insurance, I’m from Scotland doing history in Edinburgh/ Ancient history for Durham and it’s a beautiful city! Whatever you pick would be amazing I’m sure focus on your own feelings over anyone else’s
Reply 7
In the QS Rankings 2024, Edinburgh is ranked higher than Durham for History but that'll be because Edinburgh has more staff. Even so, a higher percentage of Edinburgh staff for all subjects in general do research than at Durham.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending