The Student Room Group

What A-Levels should I choose?

I've chosen business as my first a level as well as AS Photography as my extra subject (my version of an EPQ or core Maths.) But now I'm stuck for my last two choices. I'm considering Textiles, English, ICT and Psychology.

Textiles is great fun and I'm really good at it but I don't see it having relevance for my future. I feel like English Lit would look great for uni but i don't know whether in need it for the courses I want to do and I'm not sure how much work English Lit requires (I'm achieving 8s in english atm.) I do like ICT and I got a 9 in my mock but I would be on my own and I think that would be quite boring and isolating. I've never done psychology before but the structure of questions looks quite similar to business and the content sounds interesting.

I'm considering film or business (hopefully a course that mixes both) for uni.

If anyones done these subjects or know abouts these combinations let me know. Any help would be appreciated thank you x
Reply 1
Careers site with hundreds of job / career profiles - Job profiles | Prospects.ac.uk
And look at the required A level subjects for the sort of degree subjects you might want to do - including any required GCSEs -
Undergraduate Courses, Degrees : Study : University of Sussex as an example.
English Lit would be more helpful than psychology for film at university. I'd recommend trying to find out which books you'd study at your school/college and see whether they interest you.
In terms of business, the most helpful A-Level you could choose would be maths, but I would also expect the analytical skills gained from English Lit to be valuable for a business course. I have heard mixed reviews of psychology - some people love it whereas others find it very dull - and some universities may consider English Lit to be a stronger, more academic subject than psychology. However, the grades you get in the end are also very important. If you can see yourself getting an A* or A in textiles, for example, it might be a good choice for you despite not being relevant to your university courses of interest. I'd have a look at business/film courses at any universities you're interested in and see what they recommend regarding A-Levels.
Reply 3
Original post by libertyalicexxx
English Lit would be more helpful than psychology for film at university. I'd recommend trying to find out which books you'd study at your school/college and see whether they interest you.
In terms of business, the most helpful A-Level you could choose would be maths, but I would also expect the analytical skills gained from English Lit to be valuable for a business course. I have heard mixed reviews of psychology - some people love it whereas others find it very dull - and some universities may consider English Lit to be a stronger, more academic subject than psychology. However, the grades you get in the end are also very important. If you can see yourself getting an A* or A in textiles, for example, it might be a good choice for you despite not being relevant to your university courses of interest. I'd have a look at business/film courses at any universities you're interested in and see what they recommend regarding A-Levels.

thank you! this is really helpful x

Quick Reply