The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

kcl

Hello! I was wondering how many people progress onto Medicine MBBS from Biology and Chemistry foundation year at Kings College London, and if there is an increased chance for this upcoming cycle?
I recently read on "What Do They Know" that 0 people have ever progressed to Medicine, is this true?
Original post by Anonymous
Hello! I was wondering how many people progress onto Medicine MBBS from Biology and Chemistry foundation year at Kings College London, and if there is an increased chance for this upcoming cycle?
I recently read on "What Do They Know" that 0 people have ever progressed to Medicine, is this true?

Do you have a link to what you found on WhatDoTheyKnow? (It would help validate its legitimacy / relevance.)
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Perfect, thank you.

That information has come from the Information Compliance department at KCL so it will be accurate. It says that for the three academic years 2018/19 2019/20 2020/21, not a single student on the Biology and Chemistry pathway of the International Foundation Programme progressed into year one of Medicine MBBS (UCAS code A100).

Obviously this doesn't tell you want happened in the subsequent years. For that information the best source would be KCL themselves. You can file a Freedom of Information request via WhatDoTheyKnow, exactly as was done before, and will likely have a response in two or three weeks.
Original post by hg77
Thanks for your quick reply! I will make sure to do that but in your opinion, is there a chance I should still do this foundation program for entry into MBBS at King's, or will I be disappointed? There is a fact sheet here for 2021-22 that says "Students on the King’s International Foundation Biology & Chemistry pathway will need to meet these 3 requirements: Reach the required University Clinical Aptitude Test (UCAT) score for the proposed year of Medicine MBBS entry; AND Have the required skills, aptitude and vocational experience (described above); AND Receive predicted an overall grade of A with an A in each module. If these above conditions are met, the student will be guaranteed an interview. Any offer made would be dependent on the student’s interview and overall academic profile. If you successfully receive an offer, it will typically be conditional to completing the King’s International Foundation Biology & Chemistry pathway with an overall grade of A grade, and an A in each module."

Personally, I wouldn't make a decision based upon the information currently available, and would wait until KCL has responded with data for 2021/22 and 2022/23 (I suspect 2023/24 data will not yet be available).

If the same zero students progressed to Medicine MBBS then there's not a chance that I'd apply to the International Foundation Programme with the expectation of progressing. I'd be worried that it was just an easy way to make £24,800 off a bunch of international students, only to quietly discard them after a year.
Reply 5
hey there, i just saw on the FOI page that no one has progressed onto medicine in the last 5 years: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/admissions_statistics_on_the_kcl_3. this is shocking and i dont know how to feel or if getting into medicine this year will be any easier as i have already firmed my offer for foundation . . . how do u suggest i proceed?
Reply 6
Original post by DataVenia
Personally, I wouldn't make a decision based upon the information currently available, and would wait until KCL has responded with data for 2021/22 and 2022/23 (I suspect 2023/24 data will not yet be available).
If the same zero students progressed to Medicine MBBS then there's not a chance that I'd apply to the International Foundation Programme with the expectation of progressing. I'd be worried that it was just an easy way to make £24,800 off a bunch of international students, only to quietly discard them after a year.

hey there, i just saw on the FOI page that no one has progressed onto medicine in the last 5 years: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/admissions_statistics_on_the_kcl_3. this is shocking and i dont know how to feel or if getting into medicine this year will be any easier, what do u think?
Original post by hg77
hey there, i just saw on the FOI page that no one has progressed onto medicine in the last 5 years: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/admissions_statistics_on_the_kcl_3. this is shocking and i dont know how to feel or if getting into medicine this year will be any easier, what do u think?

I agree that it's shocking.

I have no reason to suspect it will be any easier to progress this year than it has been in the past, unfortunately.
Reply 8
I agree that it's shocking.
I have no reason to suspect it will be any easier to progress this year than it has been in the past, unfortunately.

so one shouldnt accept their offer correct? also, if KCL goes into clearing for medicine this year and someone who got into the foundation year calls can they get a chance to get into medicine instead?
Original post by hg77
so one shouldnt accept their offer correct? also, if KCL goes into clearing for medicine this year and someone who got into the foundation year calls can they get a chance to get into medicine instead?

Just to clarify, when you say "the foundation year", you're talking about the King's International Foundation Programme (IFP), right?

We know from the two freedom of information requests above that no-one on that programme has progressed onto Medicine MBBS in the last five years (as of May 2024), and that no-one who enrolled in the the programme in 2018/19 or 2019/20 progressed onto MBBS. You need to decide for yourself what to do with this information. I know it would not encourage me to accept an IFP offer, if my hope was to progress onto MBBS.

If Medicine goes into Clearing at KCL, and you meet the entry requirements, then there would be no reason, as an offer-holder for IFP, that you could not look to gain direct entry to Medicine instead. However, if you previously applied to Medicine and were rejected post interview, then it is very unlikely that you would be accepted via Clearing.
Reply 10
Just to clarify, when you say "the foundation year", you're talking about the King's International Foundation Programme (IFP), right?
We know from the two freedom of information requests above that no-one on that programme has progressed onto Medicine MBBS in the last five years (as of May 2024), and that no-one who enrolled in the the programme in 2018/19 or 2019/20 progressed onto MBBS. You need to decide for yourself what to do with this information. I know it would not encourage me to accept an IFP offer, if my hope was to progress onto MBBS.
If Medicine goes into Clearing at KCL, and you meet the entry requirements, then there would be no reason, as an offer-holder for IFP, that you could not look to gain direct entry to Medicine instead. However, if you previously applied to Medicine and were rejected post interview, then it is very unlikely that you would be accepted via Clearing.

what if i havent done my ucat yet will they still be able to consider me? also do u know anything abt if kcl will go into clearing?
Original post by hg77
what if i havent done my ucat yet will they still be able to consider me? also do u know anything abt if kcl will go into clearing?

You can only apply via Clearing with achieved results. Also, as it says on KCL's Medicine MBBS page, "Please note that all applicants are required to sit the University Clinical Aptitude Test (UCAT), previously known as UKCAT, prior to applying to this programme" (my emphasis).

According to the Medicine Clearing 2023 thread, KCL was in Clearing last year. I've no way of knowing whether they will be in Clearing this year. (Even KCL don't know that, as they don't know how many offer-holders will meet their offer conditions.)

Edited to add that according to the Medicine Clearing 2023 thread (see link above) it was only available in "early" Clearing last year - i.e. for those with achieved grades - and closed to Clearing applicants on 11th July (or thereabouts).
(edited 3 weeks ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending