The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Anxiety / Meeting Conditional Offers

A few weeks from my exams and all I can think of is what happens if I dont meet my conditional offer. I am an international student and will probably pick Exeter as Firm (BBB). I was predicted an ABB, but I am very scared of getting either a CBB or CCB in the end. Any information on the chances of me getting accepted if for some reason I get lower grades.
And should I contact the university directly and explain my situation?
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 1
initially if you contact them, theres nothing they will help you with, otherwise you can apply through clearing and most of the time they may accept lower grades (but lower to a certain extent), but that doesnt necessarily mean the uni you have chosen may have clearing in general or in particularly for ur course..
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Original post by AntónioA
A few weeks from my exams and all I can think of is what happens if I dont meet my conditional offer. I am an international student and will probably pick Exeter as Firm (BBB). I was predicted an ABB, but I am very scared of getting either a CBB or CCB in the end. Any information on the chances of me getting accepted if for some reason I get lower grades.
And should I contact the university directly and explain my situation?

With exams fast approaching it is a stressful time - I hope you are managing it all ok, and of course good luck for your exams when they start.

First things first, it might be obvious but hopefully your predictions were realistic. I know this doesn't really change anything or stop you worrying, but try to have some trust in your ability. I am sure you are going to get the grades you need. If you do place us as your firm choice your offer will be BBB so that gives some flexibility based upon your predictions.

Now for the more complicated bit - what happens if things don't go to plan and you don't get your predicted grades or meet your offer? We will get your results ahead of confirmation and clearing; our Admissions Team work around the clock checking what everyone got and seeing what space we have. Depending on the popularity of a programme, or how the whole cohort performed meeting their grades, there may be the opportunity for us to be flexible and still offer a place if your narrowly miss the terms of your offer. If a programme is really competitive this is less likely, but please be reassured if we can be flexible we will be. The other question which often comes up is what happens if achieve higher in one subject and lower in another (e.g. A, B, C) - this is dealt with in a similar way in that for really competitive programmes it still might not be possible to offer you a space, but if there is more flexibility with spaces this would usually be accepted.

I hope this makes sense and provides some clarity on what happens with your results. Wishing you all the best with your upcoming exams - I hope they go well and that we shall be welcoming you later this year!

Melody
University of Exeter Student Recruitment Team
Reply 3
Original post by UniofExeter Rep
With exams fast approaching it is a stressful time - I hope you are managing it all ok, and of course good luck for your exams when they start.
First things first, it might be obvious but hopefully your predictions were realistic. I know this doesn't really change anything or stop you worrying, but try to have some trust in your ability. I am sure you are going to get the grades you need. If you do place us as your firm choice your offer will be BBB so that gives some flexibility based upon your predictions.
Now for the more complicated bit - what happens if things don't go to plan and you don't get your predicted grades or meet your offer? We will get your results ahead of confirmation and clearing; our Admissions Team work around the clock checking what everyone got and seeing what space we have. Depending on the popularity of a programme, or how the whole cohort performed meeting their grades, there may be the opportunity for us to be flexible and still offer a place if your narrowly miss the terms of your offer. If a programme is really competitive this is less likely, but please be reassured if we can be flexible we will be. The other question which often comes up is what happens if achieve higher in one subject and lower in another (e.g. A, B, C) - this is dealt with in a similar way in that for really competitive programmes it still might not be possible to offer you a space, but if there is more flexibility with spaces this would usually be accepted.
I hope this makes sense and provides some clarity on what happens with your results. Wishing you all the best with your upcoming exams - I hope they go well and that we shall be welcoming you later this year!
Melody

Hello! Thank you very much for the reply. I got BBB on my AS and according to my work this year so far, I believe that the prediction was fair. I tend to believe in myself sometimes and not in others due to my Anxiety and constant fear of failing, which is something I have always had. It is quite reassuring to get some more information on this.
My last question is as follows - If I dont meet the requirements, is it possible that the university offers me a similar course that has not been able to fill its places?

Thank you a lot, I will keep working hard and hopefully I will be there in September!😁

Original post by AntónioA
Hello! Thank you very much for the reply. I got BBB on my AS and according to my work this year so far, I believe that the prediction was fair. I tend to believe in myself sometimes and not in others due to my Anxiety and constant fear of failing, which is something I have always had. It is quite reassuring to get some more information on this.
My last question is as follows - If I dont meet the requirements, is it possible that the university offers me a similar course that has not been able to fill its places?
Thank you a lot, I will keep working hard and hopefully I will be there in September!😁
Hello AntónioA,

I hope you continue to manage your anxiety. Exam periods are high stress, so continue to use your usual techniques for managing this. It sounds like you should be on track to get those grades, but I am pleased I can hopefully provide some reassurance at this stressful time.

Another good question - we do provide alternative offers. More often than not this is likely to see you be offered a programme at an alternative campus. This will be dependant on the similarity of the course (we won't do it if it is too different) and how popular the similar/alternative programmes have been and how many students on those have met their offers or if there is some spaces on it. So it isn't a guarantee but it is potentially another option.

Let me know if you think of any other questions.

Fingers crossed the exams go well and we will be seeing you in September!

Melody

Quick Reply