The Student Room Group

Timings for politics A-level essay questions

I'm not sure how to tackle the issue of timing in the exam. I've tried giving myself 5 minutes planning time and 40 minutes to write. It works out that i have to give myself 10 minutes per main paragraph, but I'm really unsure of how I can give the right level of depth and knowledge whilst only writing for 10 minutes. Could someone help? An exemplar with how long you took to write it would be good. I'm aiming for an A*
Reply 1
Original post by LVTC005
I'm not sure how to tackle the issue of timing in the exam. I've tried giving myself 5 minutes planning time and 40 minutes to write. It works out that i have to give myself 10 minutes per main paragraph, but I'm really unsure of how I can give the right level of depth and knowledge whilst only writing for 10 minutes. Could someone help? An exemplar with how long you took to write it would be good. I'm aiming for an A*

If you are struggling with timing look into getting extra time for your exams. If you don’t qualify, then your timing for a 45 minute essay should be 5 minutes planning and 8 minutes roughly on each paragraph. I don’t know which exam board you’re doing, but if you are doing Edexcel A or B, for the first two papers, you should spend around 45 minutes on the source question, 40 minutes on the essay question and 35 minutes on the core ideas (ideologies) question, with the first two questions having around 5 paragraphs including the introduction and conclusion and the ideologies question having 4.
Reply 2
Original post by bibachu
If you are struggling with timing look into getting extra time for your exams. If you don’t qualify, then your timing for a 45 minute essay should be 5 minutes planning and 8 minutes roughly on each paragraph. I don’t know which exam board you’re doing, but if you are doing Edexcel A or B, for the first two papers, you should spend around 45 minutes on the source question, 40 minutes on the essay question and 35 minutes on the core ideas (ideologies) question, with the first two questions having around 5 paragraphs including the introduction and conclusion and the ideologies question having 4.

I think it’s too late to apply at this stage. It’s a shame because I think I’m neurodivergent so I really could’ve used that. I’m sure there’s a way around it though like maybe I’m writing too much? I try to do a one sentence point, couple of sentences for the evidence and a couple more for the explanation.
Reply 3
Original post by LVTC005
I think it’s too late to apply at this stage. It’s a shame because I think I’m neurodivergent so I really could’ve used that. I’m sure there’s a way around it though like maybe I’m writing too much? I try to do a one sentence point, couple of sentences for the evidence and a couple more for the explanation.

Do you use the PEEL structure? If so, this probably isn’t the best structure to use for politics as you’ll need to have a counter point that you can use to strengthen your argument in the evaluation. The structure I personally use is the PEACE structure (point, evidence, analysis, counterpoint, evaluation) for each paragraph. Ask your school if they are still doing assessments for extra time. I don’t know how it works in your school, but in my school people are still getting access arrangements put in place less than 2 weeks before mocks. You may need an internal referral, but if you are neurodivergent and have a confirmed and written diagnosis by your GP or psychiatrist, you’ll usually be automatically given extra time.

Quick Reply