The Student Room Group

Student finance help

I have always lived with my mum and moved to my dads for college, I will be going to where my mum lives for uni but living in an accom. I am in the process of applying for student finance and was going to put down my mothers details as id want her to support my application however it asks who I live with. I live between both, occasionally visiting my mother. Can I still put her down or would I have to do my dad’s details? Would I get in trouble if I said I lived with her in order for her to support the application?
Original post by user929492
I have always lived with my mum and moved to my dads for college, I will be going to where my mum lives for uni but living in an accom. I am in the process of applying for student finance and was going to put down my mothers details as id want her to support my application however it asks who I live with. I live between both, occasionally visiting my mother. Can I still put her down or would I have to do my dad’s details? Would I get in trouble if I said I lived with her in order for her to support the application?

Hi there,

I would say that it would be fine to put down your mothers details on your student finance application especially if you mostly live with your mum and only recently moved in to your dads for college. Also if you mum is going to be your main supporter during your university studies than I would say put down your mum rather than your dad.

I hope this helps and good luck with university 😊
Katie - Student Ambassador
Post moved to the Ask SFE forum so that an official SFE/SLC rep can advise.
Original post by user929492

Hi there, you put down the parent (and their partner if relevant) on who you have most contact with. If you have the exact same amount with each parent then you'd chose your preferred parent. Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending