The Student Room Group

EPQ Bad grade, checking whether to put on UCAS or not?

Hi there,

My internally assessed mark for the EPQ project is not looking great, 30/50 , and I have a few questions, am I able to withdraw from the EPQ project now? Also, if I ended up keeping the project, am I able to not put it on UCAS, cause I am taking a gap year to reapply to medicine and I don't want this bad EPQ grade to affect my chances of getting into a medical school...

Thanks in advance...
Original post by srmaster
Hi there,
My internally assessed mark for the EPQ project is not looking great, 30/50 , and I have a few questions, am I able to withdraw from the EPQ project now? Also, if I ended up keeping the project, am I able to not put it on UCAS, cause I am taking a gap year to reapply to medicine and I don't want this bad EPQ grade to affect my chances of getting into a medical school...
Thanks in advance...

hi, if you withdraw from doing EPQ you then have to swap it for a subject (that's what my school do) if you keep the project i think you have to put it on UCAS as it's marked by external examiners and part of the curriculum
Reply 2
Hi there,
Thanks in advance...

I mean if you've got a mark back it's probably too late now.... especially if you've been entered for the qualification (and so the school has paid for you to receive it). If you withdraw, the school may want to recoup some of the costs from you, so be mindful of that.

You need to include all qualifications you've been entered for in your UCAS form. If you don't then your application is technically fraudulent and so uni's would be well within their rights to not make you any offers (or even cancel any offers they've previpusly given you).
Hi there,
Thanks in advance...

Hey, current med student here. Had a friend who got predicted an A*, bad mouthed the EPQ during his presentation, and got a D on results day. He reapplied for med his gap year and got an unconditional offer to Manchester. Firstly, many med schools don't look at the EPQ as a "legit" subject so the grade doesn't really matter. Since you will apply with achieved results, you should be fine I mean the standard offer is just an AAA so you won't need the reduced offer that some schools offer anyway (the one that come with a predicted A* in EPQ). In med, what you did during the EPQ itself is more important than the grade you got. Putting it in your personal statement = green flag. During all my interviews, I talked about my EPQ and all the skills I gained from doing it = huge plus point. This is what they ultimately value! So no a bad EPQ grade ain't gonna affect your chances of getting into med school but a bad UCAT score would.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by janeaustin73
hi, if you withdraw from doing EPQ you then have to swap it for a subject (that's what my school do) if you keep the project i think you have to put it on UCAS as it's marked by external examiners and part of the curriculum

Just to note that your school's policy isn't universal. There is no obligation to swap out an EPQ for another subject.

But yes, if you get any grade, including failed and U grades, you must declare them on your application.
Original post by melancollege
Just to note that your school's policy isn't universal. There is no obligation to swap out an EPQ for another subject.
But yes, if you get any grade, including failed and U grades, you must declare them on your application.

i did put in brackets thats what my school do
Reply 6
Original post by mesub
I mean if you've got a mark back it's probably too late now.... especially if you've been entered for the qualification (and so the school has paid for you to receive it). If you withdraw, the school may want to recoup some of the costs from you, so be mindful of that.
You need to include all qualifications you've been entered for in your UCAS form. If you don't then your application is technically fraudulent and so uni's would be well within their rights to not make you any offers (or even cancel any offers they've previpusly given you).

Do you know when it is that schools enter people for the EPQ? I've been doing it for a couple months now though I haven't attended a meeting for it in a while so i hope the deadline for entering hasn't passed?
Reply 7
Original post by clareccc
Do you know when it is that schools enter people for the EPQ? I've been doing it for a couple months now though I haven't attended a meeting for it in a while so i hope the deadline for entering hasn't passed?

There are two points for entry (summer/winter). I believe the summer deadline is for February (to match the August results) and the winter deadline is October (to match the Feb/March results).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending