The Student Room Group

panic attack during gcse

i have a general anxiety disorder and for the past few weeks in school i've felt constantly on the verge of having a panic attack and actually ending up having 2. ive got my first gcse on thursday and i'm super nervous about having one during the exam or being too distracted by feeling like i might. i've spoken to my schools pastoral team and they've said i don't "fit the requirements for accommodations" so i'll be doing all my gcses in the main exam hall. does anyone have advice or know what will happen if i do have a panic attack during the gcse?
Do you have rest breaks? Unfortunately the deadline for processing arrangements is far gone now so if you’ve been told you have to go in the hall then that’s that. If you have a panic attack sadly if you don’t have rest breaks then you will just have to wait it out which could impact on your time. If you do have rets breaks (you’ll know if you do) then you can take a break, have some water go for a walk or play with a fidget in some cases, i get fidgets in exams because im probably autistic but that also had to be applied for. I wish you well in your exams, hope it goes well for you I have my first on Friday.
Reply 2
Original post by varinoux
i have a general anxiety disorder and for the past few weeks in school i've felt constantly on the verge of having a panic attack and actually ending up having 2. ive got my first gcse on thursday and i'm super nervous about having one during the exam or being too distracted by feeling like i might. i've spoken to my schools pastoral team and they've said i don't "fit the requirements for accommodations" so i'll be doing all my gcses in the main exam hall. does anyone have advice or know what will happen if i do have a panic attack during the gcse?

I’m doing my gcse at the moment and I’m the exact same I have missed so many of my mock exams due to panic attacks and I’m so scared that I’m gonna get them in my exam my mum asked the school for extra support when I do them and they said the exact same thing and I keep having panic attacks and it scary cuz u never know what will happen when u do the gcse
Original post by varinoux

The worst thing is a blackout and not being able to answer the questions of the papers. My advice: leave the exam room for minutes and go back after minutes when your mind is settled.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 4
Things that help me with PAs:
Anti-histamines-(obviously, do your own research)
Holding my breath when I feel anxiety rising; it increases the percentage of nitrogen in the blood and calms the Vagus nerve (Google).
Holding ice cubes in my hands
Avoiding sugar, high carb foods and caffeine
Regular cardio exercise with proper cool downs, walking is also brilliant

Quick Reply