The Student Room Group

I have been blacklisted by revolut and then all other banks

Hey there hope everyone is good. So i was dealing with a client for content writing services . I did 3 to 4 tasks with him and at last task he told me that he did not like it and he reported me to the Revolut for scam on which he was doing transactions and asked me to send the whole amount for all the tasks. On the very next day revolut closed my account and also all other banks closed my account too and no bank is accepting me and even Revolut customer support service is not looking upon my issue. So any remedy there ?
Revolut is not a bank in the UK, it has a money transmission licence which isn't the same. For other accounts at banks, they will have a formal complaints procedure and belong to an Ombudsman scheme. Try them,
Reply 2
Original post by SomeonesDad
Revolut is not a bank in the UK, it has a money transmission licence which isn't the same. For other accounts at banks, they will have a formal complaints procedure and belong to an Ombudsman scheme. Try them,

I did try at them and they asked us to make a complaint at Revolut and if Revolut upholds our complaint. Then they will allow us to open the bank with them. This system is really messed up though
I can't help but feel there is more to this? that one rando guy is able to shut down all your banking immediately with no chance to defend yourself sounds pretty incredible. Were you doing something with the account you weren't meant to do?
Definitely feels like you aren't telling us the full picture here.
As above, having worked at a bank if an account is flagged for 'iffy' transactions, it's typically frozen and then the customer is contacted to provide further info. An immediate closure with no recourse to complain is unusual and indicative that something else was going on.

If you have an audit trail of what the payments to/from were for, then Revolut should not have an issue reinstating your account.

NB. The first thing that occurs is was this a consumer/current account? IE have you carefully checked your account T&C's to see whether you were permitted to be making and receiving payments for business purposes?
Reply 6
Original post by StriderHort
I can't help but feel there is more to this? that one rando guy is able to shut down all your banking immediately with no chance to defend yourself sounds pretty incredible. Were you doing something with the account you weren't meant to do?

The full picture is this that i have already told you,,, i did 5 assignments for him and at end he did not like the last one for which he just paid 25£ , at that time he just asked for 25£ refund and also cursed ne and abused me but then by tomorrow he asked for a while refund of 165£ which he paid me for in the course of two months. And i think he showed the bank the screenshots from our chat in which he was calling me scammer again and again. And the reason for all the banks shutting me down automatically is that when one bank in uk close your account for scam,,, then your name is update in their chexsystem,,, and also they place CIFAS marker on your name which varies from 1 year to 6 year in which you cant take loan,mortgage or even open an account. Thats why i am worried that i did nothing so wrong and this much has happened with me.
Reply 7
Original post by Admit-One
As above, having worked at a bank if an account is flagged for 'iffy' transactions, it's typically frozen and then the customer is contacted to provide further info. An immediate closure with no recourse to complain is unusual and indicative that something else was going on.
If you have an audit trail of what the payments to/from were for, then Revolut should not have an issue reinstating your account.
NB. The first thing that occurs is was this a consumer/current account? IE have you carefully checked your account T&C's to see whether you were permitted to be making and receiving payments for business purposes?

Yes that also an issue they raised . In a reply for my complaint they told me that one reason for closing my bank account is that clause of scam from their T&Cs and other is i used personal accunt for business transaction of 165£. But whats the reason for other banks to shut me down. Not a single bank is accepting my id for opeining a new account. Your reply would be much much appreciated.
Reply 8
Original post by Uni_student3132
Definitely feels like you aren't telling us the full picture here.

The full picture is this that i have already told you,,, i did 5 assignments for him and at end he did not like the last one for which he just paid 25£ , at that time he just asked for 25£ refund and also cursed ne and abused me but then by tomorrow he asked for a while refund of 165£ which he paid me for in the course of two months. And i think he showed the bank the screenshots from our chat in which he was calling me scammer again and again. And the reason for all the banks shutting me down automatically is that when one bank in uk close your account for scam,,, then your name is update in their chexsystem,,, and also they place CIFAS marker on your name which varies from 1 year to 6 year in which you cant take loan,mortgage or even open an account. Thats why i am worried that i did nothing so wrong and this much has happened with me.
Original post by Abuzar786

Essay writing services are illegal in the UK.

https://educationhub.blog.gov.uk/2022/04/28/essay-mills-are-now-illegal-skills-minister-calls-on-internet-service-providers-to-crack-down-on-advertising/

https://www.dmu.ac.uk/current-students/hot-topics/2022/june/important-notice-essay-writing-services-now-illegal-in-the-uk.aspx

They closed your account when the other person reported what the payment was for. You then provided evidence to corroborate that you were taking payments for an illegal activity. The marker has been correctly applied.
... they told me that one reason for closing my bank account is that clause of scam from their T&Cs and other is i used personal accunt for business transaction of 165£. But whats the reason for other banks to shut me down.

The CIFAS marker isn't a punishment for you. It's a warning to other lenders (banks) that you may be a risky customer. In this case you haven't read your T&C's for a personal account, and you've taken payments for something which is illegal in the UK. Even banks with existing relationships with you are going to get cold feet, because you're more than likely going to try and move that activity to them now.
Reply 11
Essay writing services are illegal in the UK.
https://educationhub.blog.gov.uk/2022/04/28/essay-mills-are-now-illegal-skills-minister-calls-on-internet-service-providers-to-crack-down-on-advertising/
https://www.dmu.ac.uk/current-students/hot-topics/2022/june/important-notice-essay-writing-services-now-illegal-in-the-uk.aspx
They closed your account when the other person reported what the payment was for. You then provided evidence to corroborate that you were taking payments for an illegal activity. The marker has been correctly applied.

And what for the person taking these services ? Was not that educational misconduct? And i did not know at the time that he was a unu student or not because not in any of his assignments there was any college or uni name mentioned not even in a single. He just told me the instructions for the assignments.
Reply 12
The CIFAS marker isn't a punishment for you. It's a warning to other lenders (banks) that you may be a risky customer. In this case you haven't read your T&C's for a personal account, and you've taken payments for something which is illegal in the UK. Even banks with existing relationships with you are going to get cold feet, because you're more than likely going to try and move that activity to them now.

Yeah i know my other bank closed my account too. But now is there any way out of it ? As i swear i did not know that its just two months that i am here and i am providing these services since i was in my country
Original post by abuzar786

As @Admit-One says essay milling and wrongful use of a personal account is doing something wrong as far as they are concerned. (I also used to work in banking and credit control, I know what Cifas markers etc are) The rules for these things are tightening up across the board, and I don't think ignorance or plausible deniability are the excuses they once were.

(Why bother trying to mislead us? You say you already told us the full picture, but 'content creation' seems to have become 'assignments/essay milling' very quick, you made it sound like it was a legit contract)
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 14
As @Admit-One says essay milling and wrongful use of a personal account is doing something wrong as far as they are concerned. (I also used to work in banking and credit control, I know what Cifas markers etc are)
(Why bother trying to mislead us? You say you already told us the full picture, but 'content creation' seems to have become 'assignments/essay milling' very quick, you made it sound like it was a legit contract)

Yes as yo are saying thay i have done something wrong but as i am admitting that i was not aware of these things and these rules so its negligence on my part. But now anything there to sort it out ?
And what for the person taking these services ? Was not that educational misconduct? And i did not know at the time that he was a unu student or not because not in any of his assignments there was any college or uni name mentioned not even in a single. He just told me the instructions for the assignments.

It's almost certainly academic misconduct on their part, yes. But that doesn't help you. You can't reasonably claim that you thought they were reading the assigments for fun. It's plainly obvious that they were a student somewhere.

Yeah i know my other bank closed my account too. But now is there any way out of it ? As i swear i did not know that its just two months that i am here and i am providing these services since i was in my country

Yes as yo are saying thay i have done something wrong but as i am admitting that i was not aware of these things and these rules so its negligence on my part. But now anything there to sort it out ?

Short answer, no.

Depending on the marker type, it may be in place for 6 years, during which time you'll find it difficult, if not impossible, to open accounts elsewhere.

From a bank's POV, you being ignorant of a) the law and b) your account T&C's is just as bad from a risk perspective. Saying "well I won't do it again" is relying on an extraordinary amount of goodwill on their part. Especially Revolut who don't even seem to want to engage with you, much less reconsider.
Reply 16
It's almost certainly academic misconduct on their part, yes. But that doesn't help you. You can't reasonably claim that you thought they were reading the assigments for fun. It's plainly obvious that they were a student somewhere.
Short answer, no.
Depending on the marker type, it may be in place for 6 years, during which time you'll find it difficult, if not impossible, to open accounts elsewhere.
From a bank's POV, you being ignorant of a) the law and b) your account T&C's is just as bad from a risk perspective. Saying "well I won't do it again" is relying on an extraordinary amount of goodwill on their part. Especially Revolut who don't even seem to want to engage with you, much less reconsider.

Then i think there is nothing called second chance here 🥹well there was more to the story that i wish i could told you. As you seem well aware of all these things and all.

That was the bit I went back and added in, in recent years improper use of accounts & money muling is seen a lot more harshly and ignorance or being naive isn't accepted as defence any more - If you'd done this a decade ago they likely wouldn't have cared.

I suspect the main thing worth a crack is basically begging them and laying it on super thick that you didn't know this was against any rules, you're not used to all the fine print and how totally shocked you are, you're certainly willing to refund any money you received inappropriately and had no intent of any dishonestly in your conduct with them.... Although the chances are slim tbh it costs nothing to try. One big problem is that as noted by @SomeonesDad Revolut are a bit of a Mickey Mouse bank, their customer service and investigations are basic to say the least and they might just blank you.

Definitely do a subject access request with Cifas to see what marker if any they have applied
Reply 18
That was the bit I went back and added in, in recent years improper use of accounts & money muling is seen a lot more harshly and ignorance or being naive isn't accepted as defence any more - If you'd done this a decade ago they likely wouldn't have cared.
I suspect the main thing worth a crack is basically begging them and laying it on super thick that you didn't know this was against any rules, you're not used to all the fine print and how totally shocked you are, you're certainly willing to refund any money you received inappropriately and had no intent of any dishonestly in your conduct with them.... Although the chances are slim tbh it costs nothing to try. One big problem is that as noted by @SomeonesDad Revolut are a bit of a Mickey Mouse bank, their customer service and investigations are basic to say the least and they might just blank you.
Definitely do a subject access request with Cifas to see what marker if any they have applied
thank you so much i really appreciate that and God bless you❤️🙏
Reply 19
Then i think there is nothing called second chance here 🥹well there was more to the story that i wish i could told you. As you seem well aware of all these things and all.

Of course you get a second chance.
In six years.

Quick Reply