The Student Room Group

what should i do the night before each gcse exam?

biology paper 1 is on friday and i’m not sure what to do the night before should i bang out loads of past questions or use the night to consolidate everything i know and blurt and go through flashcards? this is honestly a question i have for each subject like how do i use the night before to its full potential
(also would be nice to hear from people who’ve did really well in their gcses)
thanks!!
Original post by ctrlm.
biology paper 1 is on friday and i’m not sure what to do the night before should i bang out loads of past questions or use the night to consolidate everything i know and blurt and go through flashcards? this is honestly a question i have for each subject like how do i use the night before to its full potential
thanks!!

tbh I'd consolidate all your knowledge and make sure you go through the specification and individually tick off each point and then just skim through past papers and the mark scheme to get a feel of how the examiners want you to respond - nothing too heavy.

Plus biology paper 1 is just B1-B9 so you could read the spec and then do a mindmap/brain dump for each chapter and then refer back to the spec at anything you've missed out or done incorrectly.

So don't stress, go over the specification (because they won't ask anything out of the spec) and just have an early night because if u revise and go to bed apparently the knowledge embeds itself in your long term knowledge so yh.

Hope that helps tho 🙂
Honestly I think the best thing to do is just relax. You don’t wanna burn yourself out before you’ve even started. I think doing some last minute consolidation is a better idea than past paper questions - there’s not much you can do for exam technique the night before an exam. I didn’t sit my GCSEs but I got 3 A*s at A-level. I did do revision the night before, but only a few last minute bits on the stuff I was least confident with. I made sure to stop early enough to spend an hour or so relaxing and still go to bed early. Just don’t stress yourself out
Reply 3
Original post by Falistinprincess
tbh I'd consolidate all your knowledge and make sure you go through the specification and individually tick off each point and then just skim through past papers and the mark scheme to get a feel of how the examiners want you to respond - nothing too heavy.
Plus biology paper 1 is just B1-B9 so you could read the spec and then do a mindmap/brain dump for each chapter and then refer back to the spec at anything you've missed out or done incorrectly.
So don't stress, go over the specification (because they won't ask anything out of the spec) and just have an early night because if u revise and go to bed apparently the knowledge embeds itself in your long term knowledge so yh.
Hope that helps tho 🙂

thanks so muchhh
Reply 4
Original post by Teribblestudent
Honestly I think the best thing to do is just relax. You don’t wanna burn yourself out before you’ve even started. I think doing some last minute consolidation is a better idea than past paper questions - there’s not much you can do for exam technique the night before an exam. I didn’t sit my GCSEs but I got 3 A*s at A-level. I did do revision the night before, but only a few last minute bits on the stuff I was least confident with. I made sure to stop early enough to spend an hour or so relaxing and still go to bed early. Just don’t stress yourself out

i’d feel so guilty relaxing though but it makes sense. thank you!
Original post by ctrlm.
i’d feel so guilty relaxing though but it makes sense. thank you!

I know that feeling of guilt too 😭 . I think that I will probably just re-read pages in the CGP revision guide on the areas I am unsure of, but I’m probably going to revise another subject tomorrow as well, as I don’t want to put all my eggs in one basket or waste time getting stressed - I recommend this if you feel comfortable doing this. I probably am also going to do a past paper in the morning, so if you have time that would be good!
Original post by ctrlm.
thanks!!

I would use the night to consolidate knowledge using flashcards, especially since every day after exams you will be tired and planning to do papers may not always be successful.

I would also do some blurting, this is writing everything you remember from a subject or chapter (without notes to help you) onto a piece of paper. Aim to complete this in 30-45 mins and then spend 15 mins going over and adding in anything you forgot in red pen.
for me, this youtube channel called "ExamQa" did a livestream the night before each exam and they helped SO much, especially for STEM stuff; basically they just go over whatever comes up in the live chat suggestions for about 2 hours, so its very good for last minute understanding. I think this is honestly what helped me get a grade 8 along with making revision sheets (1 A4 sheet for B1-9)

But also do attempt at least 1 past paper as well, just to get a general idea of where you're going to be at and remember, a grade 7 in biology is normally just over half marks so you really need to get the beginning small questions correct at the very least
good luck!
Reply 8
Original post by Tiny_spy
I know that feeling of guilt too 😭 . I think that I will probably just re-read pages in the CGP revision guide on the areas I am unsure of, but I’m probably going to revise another subject tomorrow as well, as I don’t want to put all my eggs in one basket or waste time getting stressed - I recommend this if you feel comfortable doing this. I probably am also going to do a past paper in the morning, so if you have time that would be good!

i’m thinking of dedicating tomorrow night all for biology😭 maybe a little bit of the other subjects too at the end i also might do a past paper i haven’t done yet goshhh good luck i hope it goes great for the both of us!!
Reply 9
Original post by kitty15
I would use the night to consolidate knowledge using flashcards, especially since every day after exams you will be tired and planning to do papers may not always be successful.
I would also do some blurting, this is writing everything you remember from a subject or chapter (without notes to help you) onto a piece of paper. Aim to complete this in 30-45 mins and then spend 15 mins going over and adding in anything you forgot in red pen.

thanks so much!! i’ll definitely focus on getting the content engraved in my mind
Reply 10
Original post by russell2007
for me, this youtube channel called "ExamQa" did a livestream the night before each exam and they helped SO much, especially for STEM stuff; basically they just go over whatever comes up in the live chat suggestions for about 2 hours, so its very good for last minute understanding. I think this is honestly what helped me get a grade 8 along with making revision sheets (1 A4 sheet for B1-9)
But also do attempt at least 1 past paper as well, just to get a general idea of where you're going to be at and remember, a grade 7 in biology is normally just over half marks so you really need to get the beginning small questions correct at the very least
good luck!

thank you!! i’m really hoping for a grade 8 but i wouldn’t mind a grade 7 either
i’ll definitely check them out
Original post by ctrlm.
i’m thinking of dedicating tomorrow night all for biology😭 maybe a little bit of the other subjects too at the end i also might do a past paper i haven’t done yet goshhh good luck i hope it goes great for the both of us!!

Good luck! We got this, remember 66 or 67% is a grade 9!!! So loads of room for error

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending