The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Medicine Clearing

So I got rejected from UCL med but got an offer to go Anglia Ruskin. I still really want to go to UCL and I know last year they accepted people who had an offer but had lower grades than the requirement.

Is there any chance that they do some form of clearing i.e. I call them on Results Day and beg
Clearing is not "call them up and beg on results day". It's a specific process whereby universities will advertise they have places available in clearing for specific courses. Historically UCL has not participated in clearing, it did participate in clearing plus last year (where universities will invite eligible applicants in clearing to be considered for an offer, and is not open to others). It's unlikely they will be in clearing this year, and much much less likely even if they are in clearing or clearing plus that medicine will be in clearing.

Also if you are holding an offer you can't go through clearing, and rejecting a medicine offer to try and get one from another medical school is frankly stupid, since where you do your medical degree has no direct impact on your ability to get a job in medicine. The GMC considers all medical schools equal and the NHS is the only provider of graduate medical training posts, and takes the GMC stance and to ensure there is no bias, blinds recruiters from your medical school.

The hard part is getting an offer, stop faffing about thinking about nonsense like "dream universities" and such and focus on meeting the offer you have and getting on with becoming a doctor. The medical degree is at most 6 years of a potentially 50+ year career. The important thing is to get it at all, not where you get it.
(edited 1 month ago)
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
I completely agree with the reply above, but I think it's also important why you don't want to go to Anglia Ruskin? If it's just because you simply want to go to UCL, then I agree be thankful for what you have and let people who didn't get a single offer have a chance at clearing. On the other hand if it's because you're questioning whether you're going to enjoy your 6 year course there (e.g travel distance or friend making may be difficult) then I guess I could understand
They’ll almost certainly go to their waitlist rather than opening up to clearing.

Obviously no harm in calling once you have your results, but it’s spectacularly unlikely and not something to get your hopes up for.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending