The Student Room Group

GCSE anxiety

Hey there! I kinda feel stressed yet not stressed about the upcoming 2024 gcse. Got me speaking exam tmr and i feel massively unprepared despite doing flashcards . Got bio on Friday and through out most of the practice papers ive done ive been scratching 70's but i want 9's . Maths, im verry anxious coz of higher marked questions and have barely scratched 70s there also . I recently had to pick up psychology and i feel massively unprepared due to content and im in the middle of a 5-6 rn . My parents have so many expectations like they want me to go into some top uni but i cant even get all 7's and i feel empty and so demotivated just half scrolling through yt and reading. English lang and lit i have been doing flashcards , a bit of revision,past papers but i still have gaps in my skills and knowledge and the first eng paper is next week .I dont know what to do anymore.

Any advice would be welcome positive or otherwise :smile:
Speaking exam: I’m not sure what language u do but literally dw first of all only memorise the flash cards for ur theme if u haven’t done that then dw memorise vocab for as many themes as u humanely can in one day and then learn as many tenses as you can don’t just focus on the ‘I’ verbs for past present and future but also the ‘she/he’ and ‘they ’and memorise some higher phrases an examiner would honestly scream with joy if they hear you’ve put some idioms in there or a tense that foundation isn’t required to learn like if you’re doing Spanish try saying for example ‘si tuviera la opportunidad para…’ before a question (this is the subjunctive tense and what it means is basically I had the opportunity to). Your higher phrases literally carry your grade more than ur vocab tbh (and also your grammar)
Biology: PRACTICE PAPERS ONLY SKIP THE CONTENT literally just memorise the mark scheme for a question u got wrong u never know if they’re gonna bring something like it up and FREE SCIENCE LESSONS after every video try repeating everything you’ve learnt from him in said video in different accents (it doesn’t have to be good) until you’ve got it memorised
I haven’t done psychology unfortunately so I can’t help u on that but goodluck I hope the grade boundaries are low for that one
Maths: literally just practice papers that’s it maybe watch some maths genie if u don’t know what loci is but honestly there’s no better way to prepare for it other than past papers (also try starting from the back of the paper so ur brain juices won’t be drained by the time u got to the last few questions)
English: obviously I can’t ask u to change ur essays now but try memorising some fancy vocabulary ESPECIALLY for the last question in the language paper I’m talking stuff like ostentatious, tempestuous, indoctrinating, gaudy, dilapidated (obviously u have to learn what them words mean and learn more than the ones I’ve listed out). Also practice ur timing cuz I rlly struggled with it before I did my GCSEs but when I practiced I finished every paper.
Also btw remember that unis not only 100% accept resits for ur GCSEs (I’m resitting biology on Friday for example) they also don’t care abt them as much as A levels and if u can get good enough grades that will let u pick ur a levels then u can worry about resits later
GOODLUCK I BELIEVE IN U DONT STRESS THE EDUCATION SYSTEM ISNT WORTH UR TEARS QUEEN YOULL DO GREAT and I hope its not too late by the time u read this
Reply 2
Original post by chaoticbrownkiwi
Speaking exam: I’m not sure what language u do but literally dw first of all only memorise the flash cards for ur theme if u haven’t done that then dw memorise vocab for as many themes as u humanely can in one day and then learn as many tenses as you can don’t just focus on the ‘I’ verbs for past present and future but also the ‘she/he’ and ‘they ’and memorise some higher phrases an examiner would honestly scream with joy if they hear you’ve put some idioms in there or a tense that foundation isn’t required to learn like if you’re doing Spanish try saying for example ‘si tuviera la opportunidad para…’ before a question (this is the subjunctive tense and what it means is basically I had the opportunity to). Your higher phrases literally carry your grade more than ur vocab tbh (and also your grammar)
Biology: PRACTICE PAPERS ONLY SKIP THE CONTENT literally just memorise the mark scheme for a question u got wrong u never know if they’re gonna bring something like it up and FREE SCIENCE LESSONS after every video try repeating everything you’ve learnt from him in said video in different accents (it doesn’t have to be good) until you’ve got it memorised
I haven’t done psychology unfortunately so I can’t help u on that but goodluck I hope the grade boundaries are low for that one
Maths: literally just practice papers that’s it maybe watch some maths genie if u don’t know what loci is but honestly there’s no better way to prepare for it other than past papers (also try starting from the back of the paper so ur brain juices won’t be drained by the time u got to the last few questions)
English: obviously I can’t ask u to change ur essays now but try memorising some fancy vocabulary ESPECIALLY for the last question in the language paper I’m talking stuff like ostentatious, tempestuous, indoctrinating, gaudy, dilapidated (obviously u have to learn what them words mean and learn more than the ones I’ve listed out). Also practice ur timing cuz I rlly struggled with it before I did my GCSEs but when I practiced I finished every paper.
Also btw remember that unis not only 100% accept resits for ur GCSEs (I’m resitting biology on Friday for example) they also don’t care abt them as much as A levels and if u can get good enough grades that will let u pick ur a levels then u can worry about resits later
GOODLUCK I BELIEVE IN U DONT STRESS THE EDUCATION SYSTEM ISNT WORTH UR TEARS QUEEN YOULL DO GREAT and I hope its not too late by the time u read this

thx soo much for that advice :smile:
did my speaking ( stuttered so much , lots of spelling grammar mistakes even my teacher was like .-. but was predicted a 7 -8 somehow)
will just focus on practice papers for bio ( and all other science subjects ? even in paper 2 coz i haven't revised that content as diligently ?) and english i will just memorise big words for the last question. And ye i will try not to cry 🙂 thx and good luck on your resit . Hope you get the grade you want !
Original post by hermessnow
thx soo much for that advice :smile:
did my speaking ( stuttered so much , lots of spelling grammar mistakes even my teacher was like .-. but was predicted a 7 -8 somehow)
will just focus on practice papers for bio ( and all other science subjects ? even in paper 2 coz i haven't revised that content as diligently ?) and english i will just memorise big words for the last question. And ye i will try not to cry 🙂 thx and good luck on your resit . Hope you get the grade you want !

THANK U also if you haven’t revised something as diligently you can still do that I was just saying that because your paper one is on Friday if you can try to revise A LOT in the weekends for any subject including the other sciences but practice papers are usually good for panic mode (also I did the same thing for my speaking but I ended up doing rlly well so dw I’m so glad it went well)
Original post by hermessnow
Hey there! I kinda feel stressed yet not stressed about the upcoming 2024 gcse. Got me speaking exam tmr and i feel massively unprepared despite doing flashcards . Got bio on Friday and through out most of the practice papers ive done ive been scratching 70's but i want 9's . Maths, im verry anxious coz of higher marked questions and have barely scratched 70s there also . I recently had to pick up psychology and i feel massively unprepared due to content and im in the middle of a 5-6 rn . My parents have so many expectations like they want me to go into some top uni but i cant even get all 7's and i feel empty and so demotivated just half scrolling through yt and reading. English lang and lit i have been doing flashcards , a bit of revision,past papers but i still have gaps in my skills and knowledge and the first eng paper is next week .I dont know what to do anymore.
Any advice would be welcome positive or otherwise :smile:

Hi from a year 12,
Don’t stress too much about your GCSEs. You have come so far, and at the end of the day, you can only do the best you can do.

For maths and science subjects, make sure to do active recall by practicing past papers, flashcards, and topic based questions on websites such as PhysicsMathsTutor Cognito.

For English subjects, make sure to practice writing draft essays.
Practice past paper questions, and for language, make sure not to neglect the structure questions and the highest marked ones on reading. time yourself so you start with writing first, then do reading, prioritising the question that will get you the highest number of marks.
Reply 5
Original post by kitty15
Hi from a year 12,
Don’t stress too much about your GCSEs. You have come so far, and at the end of the day, you can only do the best you can do.
For maths and science subjects, make sure to do active recall by practicing past papers, flashcards, and topic based questions on websites such as PhysicsMathsTutor Cognito.
For English subjects, make sure to practice writing draft essays.
Practice past paper questions, and for language, make sure not to neglect the structure questions and the highest marked ones on reading. time yourself so you start with writing first, then do reading, prioritising the question that will get you the highest number of marks.

Thx for your advice and response

and i will try and do practice essays for English although im not verry good at timed essay planning. And for language it would be writing to be the paper with the questions that allow me to have the most marks and listening to be my worst paper so ill try writing then reading then listening
wish me luck :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by chaoticbrownkiwi
also umm sorry to disturb yet again but for french listening is it fine if i revise using a diffrent exam board than Aqa and if i do ( or have done . my grammar is poop )will it affect my progress in the exam
Thanks for your help yet again :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending