The Student Room Group

AQA A-level Philosophy Paper 1 (7582/1) - 16th May 2024 [Exam Chat]

Poll

How did your AQA A-level Philosophy Paper 1 exam go?

AQA A-level Philosophy Paper 1 (7582/1) - 16th May 2024 [Exam Chat]

Welcome to the exam discussion thread for this exam. Introduce yourself! Let others know what you're aiming for in your exams, what you are struggling with in your revision or anything else.

Wishing you all the best of luck.

General Information
Date/Time: 16th May 2024/ PM
Length: 3hrs
(edited 1 month ago)

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know what topics were on the papers last year? For the 25 markers. My teacher cannot access them and can't find a copy anywhere?
Original post by flabbycasper
Does anyone know what topics were on the papers last year? For the 25 markers. My teacher cannot access them and can't find a copy anywhere?

The paper is locked, so you wouldn’t be able to access it but it’s weird that your teacher cannot access the paper.
Original post by flabbycasper

The 25 marker for epistemology was scepticism and for moral philosophy it was Aristotelian virtue ethics
Anyone have thoughts on what’ll come up?
Original post by krenweeks77
Anyone have thoughts on what’ll come up?

For Epistemology "what is knowledge" has never come up, so some form of JTB/ reliabalism / infallibilism could come up. But Indirect realism as a question directly has never come either, not too certain but very unlikely to be Intuition deduction or Scepticism as they were the last two 25 markers for Epistemology. For Moral its more ambiguous, could be Utilitarianism, Kant, or Applied ethics, but im not sure if they could do meta-ethics again since they did anti realism in 2022. So consensus Epistemology: JTB/Indirect realism, Moral: Utilitarianism/Kant/Applied/maybe realism BUT REVISE EVERYTHING
THESE WERE THE Q'S FROM 2023 (GOT THIS FROM YOTUBE):

2023 PAPER 1:

EPISTEMOLOGY

Differences between direct and indirect realism (3 marker)

Locke’s primary and secondary distinction (5 marker)

Hume’s fork (5 marker)

Gettier case + no false lemmas (12 marker)

Philosophical scepticism (25 marker)

MORAL PHILOSOPHY

Differences between naturalism and non naturalism (3 marker)

Difference between Bentham and Mill utilitarianism (5 marker)

Hare’s prescriptivism (5 marker)

Kant + stealing (12 marker)

Virtue ethics (25 marker)

2023 PAPER 2:

GOD

Swinburne temporal order (3 marker)

Malcolm’s ontological (5 marker)

Ayer’s verification principle (5 marker)

God’s definition + Euthyphro dilemma (12 marker)

Cosmological argument (25 marker)

MIND

Phenomenal properties (3 marker)

Differences between substance dualism and property dualism (5 marker)

Super-spartans (5 marker)

Problem of other minds (12 marker)

Mind-brain type identity theory (25 marker)

Original post by RodrigoRadiah

For Epistemology "what is knowledge" has never come up, so some form of JTB/ reliabalism / infallibilism could come up. But Indirect realism as a question directly has never come either, not too certain but very unlikely to be Intuition deduction or Scepticism as they were the last two 25 markers for Epistemology. For Moral its more ambiguous, could be Utilitarianism, Kant, or Applied ethics, but im not sure if they could do meta-ethics again since they did anti realism in 2022. So consensus Epistemology: JTB/Indirect realism, Moral: Utilitarianism/Kant/Applied/maybe realism BUT REVISE EVERYTHING

Thank you so much! This is really helpful, what are your paper 2 predictions?

I think religious language and behaviourism - if not, then design/ontological and property/substance dualism

Do you think its worth planning epiphenomenalism essay plan....?
(edited 1 month ago)

For God, Problem of Evil and Cosmological are the two most recent ones so they are less likely to re-appear, so its likely to be Teleological since the last time they did it was 2019, or religious language (the bane of my existence) since its never come up, but Ontological and concept are both in the realm of possibilities. For Mind, Eliminative mat and MBTIT are the two most recent, but anything apart from that can come up, Dualism, Functionalism, Behaviourism, maybe Epiphenomenalism??
Reply 10
Original post by RodrigoRadiah
For God, Problem of Evil and Cosmological are the two most recent ones so they are less likely to re-appear, so its likely to be Teleological since the last time they did it was 2019, or religious language (the bane of my existence) since its never come up, but Ontological and concept are both in the realm of possibilities. For Mind, Eliminative mat and MBTIT are the two most recent, but anything apart from that can come up, Dualism, Functionalism, Behaviourism, maybe Epiphenomenalism??

Epiphenomenalism does seem technically possible.

Could even do a "how convincing are issues facing dualism" question if they are feeling mean.
Reply 11
Some invaluable tips I got from my Philosophy teacher who used to be an AQA examiner:
1) Every single essay question, at the heart of it, is just "Assess theory X". They will never do a specific question - it will always just be a rewording of "Talk to me about how convincing you find this theory."
2) The topics that came up as essays for the last two years will not come up this year - don't revise essays relating to the following topics: scepticism, virtue ethics, cosmological, mind-brain, (2023) intuition and deduction, anti-realism, evil, eliminative materialism (2022)

My predictions for the essay (based on skimming recent exams)
Epistemology: Berkley
Ethics: Moral realism
God: Design arguments
Mind: Functionalism
Reply 12
Original post by grade9s
Some invaluable tips I got from my Philosophy teacher who used to be an AQA examiner:
1) Every single essay question, at the heart of it, is just "Assess theory X". They will never do a specific question - it will always just be a rewording of "Talk to me about how convincing you find this theory."
2) The topics that came up as essays for the last two years will not come up this year - don't revise essays relating to the following topics: scepticism, virtue ethics, cosmological, mind-brain, (2023) intuition and deduction, anti-realism, evil, eliminative materialism (2022)

They have never asked about what's come up in the past two years before. But that doesn't mean they couldn't do it!

I would agree it is unlikely though.

I don't agree with your predictions though - I would predict these:

Epistemology: Indirect realism or JTB
Ethics: moral realism or applied ethics
God: Religious language
Mind: Property dualism or general physicalism question, or issues facing dualism/epiphenomenalism.

Functionalism, Berkeley and design arguments have come up before, whereas none of the above have come up before - so they are most likely. Your suggestions are second in likelihood - based on their past tendency to ask about things that haven't come up before.

However I'd also note that they are running out of topics they haven't asked about before. So there is ultimately no real way to know - maybe this is the first year they would include an essay on a topic they did in the last 2 years.

Don't rely on predictions - just learn an essay for every topic. Most of it will be required knowledge for lower mark questions anyway!
Reply 13
Original post by Joe312
Epiphenomenalism does seem technically possible.
Could even do a "how convincing are issues facing dualism" question if they are feeling mean.
It doesn’t matter how they phrase the question - at the heart of it, the essay question is just “assess theory X”. The question “how convincing is dualism” and “how convincing are issues facing dualism” are superficially different, but the answer is the same.
Original post by Joe312
Original post by grade9s

They have never asked about what's come up in the past two years before. But that doesn't mean they couldn't do it!

Mind: Property dualism or general physicalism question, or issues facing dualism/epiphenomenalism.

Functionalism, Berkeley and design arguments have come up before, whereas none of the above have come up before - so they are most likely. Your suggestions are second in likelihood - based on their past tendency to ask about things that haven't come up before.

However I'd also note that they are running out of topics they haven't asked about before. So there is ultimately no real way to know - maybe this is the first year they would include an essay on a topic they did in the last 2 years.

Don't rely on predictions - just learn an essay for every topic. Most of it will be required knowledge for lower mark questions anyway!

Hi! How would you structure a general physicalism essay please?
Reply 15
Original post by Joe312
The reason I said the past two years wasn’t because it hasn’t happened, but because my teacher, who was an AQA Philosophy examiner, told us. Like you, he encourages us to study everything regardless but even he advises against studying essays for the 8 themes I mentioned.

Additionally, simply because a topic hasn’t come up does not mean it is any more likely to come up than any other topic. For example, in 2022, AQA had the option between 2 fresh essay topics, but still instead chose to repeat Moral Anti-realism. Obviously, take all predictions with a grain of salt, I just wanted to clarify that indirect realism is not any more likely to come up than, say, direct realism.

I’d also advise against revising using essays for every topic, because essays and short mark questions are fundamentally different, as essays need analysis/evaluation whereas you’ll be penalised if you do that for short markers.
Reply 16
Original post by Joe312
An essay on epiphenomenalist dualism will not come up as all essay titles are taken from the purple titles on the spec.
Reply 17
Original post by grade9s
The reason I said the past two years wasn’t because it hasn’t happened, but because my teacher, who was an AQA Philosophy examiner, told us. Like you, he encourages us to study everything regardless but even he advises against studying essays for the 8 themes I mentioned.
Additionally, simply because a topic hasn’t come up does not mean it is any more likely to come up than any other topic. For example, in 2022, AQA had the option between 2 fresh essay topics, but still instead chose to repeat Moral Anti-realism. Obviously, take all predictions with a grain of salt, I just wanted to clarify that indirect realism is not any more likely to come up than, say, direct realism.
I’d also advise against revising using essays for every topic, because essays and short mark questions are fundamentally different, as essays need analysis/evaluation whereas you’ll be penalised if you do that for short markers.

I'm an examiner for the OCR exam board and unless they do things very differently at AQA - I can tell you that the examiners don't know any better than we do unfortunately! All we know is that AQA have not repeated a 25 mark question from the last 2 years before. So maybe they will continue that trend - or maybe it was a function of having so many topics they'd not asked about before.

Regarding a topic not coming up before - if you look at the past years, something like 80% of the 25 mark questions have been on topics that have not come up before. They haven't always made that choice (e.g. last year asking about virtue ethics) - but most of the time they have. That suggests the topics not asked about before are the most likely to come up.

Essays do indeed have further requirements than what you'd include in a lower mark essay. Nonetheless, there's significant overlap. So yeah, if asked to outline Nozick's critique of utilitarianism for 5 marks, don't include an evaluation of that critique like you would in a 25 marker.

Revision should involve revising an essay for every topic - and revising the spec bullet points that could come up as 5 or 12 mark questions. I made a revision checklist for that you can find here:
https://alevelphilosophyandreligion.com/philosophy/aqa-philosophy-revision-checklist/
Reply 18
Original post by grade9s
An essay on epiphenomenalist dualism will not come up as all essay titles are taken from the purple titles on the spec.

Issues facing dualism is a purple title though.
Reply 19
Hi! How would you structure a general physicalism essay please?

There are so many ways you could structure it.

Maybe:

Behaviourism
One issue from spec
evaluate

Eliminative materialism
One issue from spec
evaluate

One dualist argument (indivisibility/conceivability/zombies/mary)
an issue from spec
evaluate

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending