The Student Room Group

OCR GCSE Classical Civilisation Paper 2 (J199/21-23) - 21st May 2024 [Exam Chat]

Poll

How did your OCR GCSE Classical Civilisation Paper 2 exam go?

OCR GCSE Classical Civilisation Paper 2 (J199/21-23) - 21st May 2024 [Exam Chat]

Welcome to the exam discussion thread for this exam. Introduce yourself! Let others know what you're aiming for in your exams, what you are struggling with in your revision or anything else.

Wishing you all the best of luck. :yy:

General Information
Date/Time: 21st May 2024/ PM
Length: 1h 30m
(edited 1 month ago)

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone have any predictions for the odyssey and mycenae?
The following topics have not come up in the 2022 or 2023 papers:

domus houses

citizens

senators and equites

freedmen/women

actors and theatre

chariot racing and circus maximus

baths

women and men

dangers of city life

Horace satires 2.2 and 2.8

Pliny: Rat race, Calpurnia and Zosimus

The following have been used previously:

Juvenal Satire 3: lines 197–222, 268–277, 278–314

Petronius Sections 29, 49-50

Hope this helps!
Reply 3
Original post by Talkative Toad
Welcome to the exam discussion thread for this exam. Introduce yourself! Let others know what you're aiming for in your exams, what you are struggling with in your revision or anything else.
Wishing you all the best of luck. :yy:
General Information
Date/Time: 21st May 2024/ PM
Length: 1h 30m

anyone got predictoins for odyssey or mycenae
Original post by aaaaafo
anyone got predictoins for odyssey or mycenae

my teachers reckon the odyseey 15 marker will be on nostos or a themes, probs xenia or maybe even oikos and then one on the charcter of odysseus. No idea for myceane or the 8 markers but theres been a lot of penelope and telmachius so maybe someone like polythemus or even circe. I'm really hoping their isnt much decorative arts or nunaced question about a specfic moment in the odyssey, they are so hard
Are there any summaries to sources: Horace, Pliny and Juvenal?
Original post by george akdkd
my teachers reckon the odyseey 15 marker will be on nostos or a themes, probs xenia or maybe even oikos and then one on the charcter of odysseus. No idea for myceane or the 8 markers but theres been a lot of penelope and telmachius so maybe someone like polythemus or even circe. I'm really hoping their isnt much decorative arts or nunaced question about a specfic moment in the odyssey, they are so hard

the question "how important is the custom of hospitality (xenia) to odysseus's survival in the odyssey" came up in 2020 so maybe not xenia? unless it's not about oddyseus's survival, but what else could it be on 🤔🤔
Could be about the slaves or something on odysseus' stratagems
my teacher said a possible question on women. how useful they are to his journey
Original post by glkaujewiogfjkg
the question "how important is the custom of hospitality (xenia) to odysseus's survival in the odyssey" came up in 2020 so maybe not xenia? unless it's not about oddyseus's survival, but what else could it be on 🤔🤔

I really think it will be nostos and his journey home but yeah after seeing the festival question they are defo starting to repeat stuff, maybe xenia might be about characters as a whole, and how we view them in terms of how they confine to xenia. Also my teacher said there has been one on how the storytelling is exciting to the modern reader, so maybe one on ancient listener but i doubt it.
Roman city life was amazing!! Both 15 markers were beautiful especially the last one on Juvenal 🤩
Original post by XHannahX123
Roman city life was amazing!! Both 15 markers were beautiful especially the last one on Juvenal 🤩

overall the paper was really good!! tbh i didn’t even read that one bc i loved the one about rich romans/poor romans so much 😭 which culture 15 marker did you do?
What did everyone think of Homeric World? I thought the 15 markers were good but the opening page on Tiryns was a bit 🫣
Original post by guineadogpiggy
What did everyone think of Homeric World? I thought the 15 markers were good but the opening page on Tiryns was a bit 🫣

tiryns was so hard, i couldnt remeber what else the galleries were used for apart from storage and said they killed people from above in the last question so is said it was a lookout which was so stupid of me. Also the 3 points on how is defensive i wrote its on a hill, but thats myceane i still hope it on a hill
(edited 1 month ago)
The extended response questions were great but what on earth was the saq section on the odyssey?!
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by Tegucigalpa
The extended response questions were great but what on earth was the same section on the odyssey?!

wdym 🤔🤔🤔
Original post by Guineadogpiggy

the first page was such a put off but the rest of it was quite good I think
Reply 17
how am i meant to even respond to the simile 4 marker on the odyssey
Original post by aaaaafo

oh my god literally
some of the questions were so silly on that paper
Original post by aaaaafo

what did u say for that

Quick Reply

Latest