The Student Room Group

University of Edinburgh vs Glasgow

I got into the university of Glasgow for MA Economics. In addition, I got into the University of Edinburgh for French & Business, but rejected for Bsc economics. I want to study economics but I always wanted to study it at Edinburgh. But at the same time, I visited the University of Glasgow and I was enchanted by it. I'm torn on whether to go with the MA economics degree at Glasgow or to go to Edinburgh and try to change to an economics degree later on. Honest opinions would be very much helpful, thank you.
Original post by rosewallsxx
I got into the university of Glasgow for MA Economics. In addition, I got into the University of Edinburgh for French & Business, but rejected for Bsc economics. I want to study economics but I always wanted to study it at Edinburgh. But at the same time, I visited the University of Glasgow and I was enchanted by it. I'm torn on whether to go with the MA economics degree at Glasgow or to go to Edinburgh and try to change to an economics degree later on. Honest opinions would be very much helpful, thank you.

Hi there,

I’m just finishing my first year at Glasgow University studying mechanical engineering and I have to say I have absolutely loved it! Like you said the campus is gorgeous, but also the west end in generally is amazing to live in with so much going on. Social life on campus is also really great, with two student unions that do all kinds of weekly and special events, hundreds of societies and every sports club you could think of. I’ve found as well that all the people in Glasgow are super welcoming and friendly, and I’ve met so many amazing people around campus. I have quite a few friends who have done economics or similar degrees and all seem to enjoy it and get on really well! Travelling to Edinburgh and surrounding places is super easy, only about an hour and a half on the bus, so definitely close enough to day trip if you want to spend time in Edinburgh.

If you’ve got any specific questions about student life at glasgow feel free to reply here, or you can also ask questions to staff and students on our website:

https://www.gla.ac.uk/study/studentlife/askastudent/

All the best with your decision!
Elise
Glasgow University Student Ambassador, Mechanical Engineering student
Original post by UofG Student Rep
Hi there,
I’m just finishing my first year at Glasgow University studying mechanical engineering and I have to say I have absolutely loved it! Like you said the campus is gorgeous, but also the west end in generally is amazing to live in with so much going on. Social life on campus is also really great, with two student unions that do all kinds of weekly and special events, hundreds of societies and every sports club you could think of. I’ve found as well that all the people in Glasgow are super welcoming and friendly, and I’ve met so many amazing people around campus. I have quite a few friends who have done economics or similar degrees and all seem to enjoy it and get on really well! Travelling to Edinburgh and surrounding places is super easy, only about an hour and a half on the bus, so definitely close enough to day trip if you want to spend time in Edinburgh.
If you’ve got any specific questions about student life at glasgow feel free to reply here, or you can also ask questions to staff and students on our website:
https://www.gla.ac.uk/study/studentlife/askastudent/
All the best with your decision!
Elise
Glasgow University Student Ambassador, Mechanical Engineering student

Thank you so much for your helpful response!

I'm definitely starting to lean toward the University of Glasgow as it just seems an amazing place to go to uni, and all the students seem to love it so much. It looks like I'll be going to the University of Glasgow but I'm going to leave a few days to think about it before I accept it on UCAS.

Thanks again 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest