The Student Room Group

Study Techniques

I just thought I would start a thread for study techniques and useful websites.
I like to use blurting to check what I already know and so I can pinpoint what I need to work on. Its when you give yourself a heading and write down as much as you can remember.
For history I like to write the question on a post-it and write the 4/6 points on the back
I like to use achieve #learning for all of my subjects as well.
Does any one have any other advice? :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I like to use blurting to check what I already know and so I can pinpoint what I need to work on. Its when you give yourself a heading and write down as much as you can remember.
For history I like to write the question on a post-it and write the 4/6 points on the back
Hey there 😀

Absolutely! Active learning rocks! It is not just more engaging, it is super effective too. I am totally on board with the blurting idea, cannott wait to give it a shot. My go-to active learning tricks include online quizzes, tackling past papers, and diving into mock exercises. But you wanna know my secret fave? Crafting sets of questions from my notes and then answering just like it was an exam. This approach works wonders for my memory and helps me remember stuff way better.

I hope it was helpful 💪 Feel free to reach out if you have any questions 😉 You can also chat with me or other students directly through The Ambassador Platform.

Take care,

Julia
Psychology student
De Montfort University
Hey 👋

I love doing mindmaps and flashcards for revision. I also recorded myself reading notes and then listen back when I'd be getting the bus to lectures or making food - almost like a podcast but probably not as interesting 😄 I also found that I can't study in silence, I had to have some background noise or ambient noise on so have loads of spotify playlists with different music on to suit my mood.

I found as well I'm a big procrastinator so I downloaded some apps that helped me focus and not go on my phone so much and put limits on my social media apps too! There's a great app called Forest where you can 'grow' a tree for however long you aren't on your phone for. 🌳

Everyone is different so it's always interesting to hear different approaches to studying!
Jennie
Original post by Anonymous

Hey!

There are already some great bits of advice on here and I have to agree, it is active recall all the way for me! The other way I study to really try and nail certain topics is to go over it, write some super quick notes and then do questions on this topic (usually 5-10). This way, I am able to quickly identify any bits of a topic that I still don't understand!

I'd love to hear everyone else's tips and tricks on this!

-Rebecca, UCLan MBBS

Quick Reply