The Student Room Group

Oxbridge Politics Masters

Hi, I’m a second-year KCL Politics student and planning to apply for Politics/IR/Diplomacy degrees at Oxbridge. But the thing is some of them require a first, and I’m not sure if I should apply for them too. My first-year grade is 71.4% (0% of the final grade) and my second-year grade will probably be around 65-67% (40% of the final grade). However, during the second year, I did several internships at some embassies and prestigious think tanks throughout the year, pretty much without any gaps between them. As for the third year (60%) I do believe I’ll do better because I won’t have that level of external commitments and in total, I believe I can at least get 68 and meet other requirements for my grade to be bumped up to first. So I guess my question is, since for masters applications you only apply with your first and second-year grades, would the latter be a problem? Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by myt27
Hi, I’m a second-year KCL Politics student and planning to apply for Politics/IR/Diplomacy degrees at Oxbridge. But the thing is some of them require a first, and I’m not sure if I should apply for them too. My first-year grade is 71.4% (0% of the final grade) and my second-year grade will probably be around 65-67% (40% of the final grade). However, during the second year, I did several internships at some embassies and prestigious think tanks throughout the year, pretty much without any gaps between them. As for the third year (60%) I do believe I’ll do better because I won’t have that level of external commitments and in total, I believe I can at least get 68 and meet other requirements for my grade to be bumped up to first. So I guess my question is, since for masters applications you only apply with your first and second-year grades, would the latter be a problem? Thanks!

I've accepted an MPhil IR offer at Oxford, and I'm finishing undergrad atm. I'm not exactly sure on how those scores would affect your application exactly, as I have an average of a first across the rest of my degree. What I can tell you is that a few courses don't always require a first overall: Oxford MPhil Political Theory, for instance, I know requires a high 2:1, and there may be others (not sure about Cambridge).

Nonetheless, there is absolutely no harm at all in applying anyway: your CV seems a lot more impressive than mine, as I only have two related internships, alongside a year abroad. My application also consisted of references, which were definitely very strong in my case, and two examples of written work, where you can really show them what you can do (I went back and improved some of my older uni essays before sending them off). I don't average 80s or anything, so I didn't really think I had a shot, but here we are anyway! I also decided to apply in November for the January deadline, so you're definitely a long way in advance, which should help with preparation etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending