The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Computer Science Paper 1B (8525/1B) - 15th May 2024 [Exam Chat]

Poll

How did your AQA GCSE Computer Science Paper 1B Python exam go?

AQA GCSE Computer Science Paper 1B Python (8525/1B) - 15th May 2024 [Exam Chat]

Welcome to the exam discussion thread for this exam. Introduce yourself! Let others know what you're aiming for in your exams, what you are struggling with in your revision or anything else.

Wishing you all the best of luck. :yy:

General Information
Date/Time: 15th May 2024/ PM
Length: 2hrs
(edited 1 month ago)

Scroll to see replies

Any tips for computer science paper 1?
Reply 2
Original post by lak123455
Any tips for computer science paper 1?

coding questions and trace tables defo for paper 1
Reply 3
Any predictions for the paper?
Reply 4
Original post by Es-Sk
Any predictions for the paper?

not sure it could be anything for the coding but last year the last question was 11 marks and it was a coding question of like 2 random dice and it was some game i dont remember
Reply 5
Original post by v1cky
not sure it could be anything for the coding but last year the last question was 11 marks and it was a coding question of like 2 random dice and it was some game i dont remember

this? thebox16Question 16is about a dice game played against a computer.The aim of the game is to get as close to a score of 21 as you can, without going over 21. If your score goes over 21 then you lose. The player’s score starts at 0. For each turn:• two dice (each numbered from 1 to 6) are rolled• the total of the two dice rolls is added to the player’s score the value of each dice and the player’s new total is output if the current score is less than 21, the player is asked if they would like to roll the dice again: if the player says yes, they get another turn; otherwise, the game ends. At the end of the game, the program should work as follows: •if the final score is 21, output a message to say the player has won •if the final score is greater than 21, output a message to say the player has lost•if the final score is less than 21, the program generates a random number between 15 and 21 inclusive:redface:if this random number is greater than the player’s final score, output a message to say the player has lost ootherwise, output a message to say the player has won. Figure 17 shows the output of a program that plays this dice game. Figure 17 Roll1: 1Roll 2: 4Current score: 5Would you like to roll again? yes Roll 1: 1Roll 2: 6Current score: 12Would you like to roll again? yes Roll 1: 1Roll 2: 2Current score: 15Would you like to roll again? yes Roll 1: 6Roll 2: 1Current score: 22You lost!Write a Python program to simulate this game.The first line has been writtenfor youin the answer grid.
31 *31*Turn over ►IB/G/Jun23/8525/1BDo not write outside theboxThe dice rolls are carried out by the program generating random numbers between 1 and 6. You will need to use the Python function random.randrange(a, b)which generates a random integer in the range a to b starting at a but finishingone before b. You should use indentation as appropriate, meaningful variable name(s) and Python syntax in your answer. The answer grid below contains vertical lines to help you indent your code.
Reply 6
Original post by Es-Sk
this? thebox16Question 16is about a dice game played against a computer.The aim of the game is to get as close to a score of 21 as you can, without going over 21. If your score goes over 21 then you lose. The player’s score starts at 0. For each turn:• two dice (each numbered from 1 to 6) are rolled• the total of the two dice rolls is added to the player’s score the value of each dice and the player’s new total is output if the current score is less than 21, the player is asked if they would like to roll the dice again: if the player says yes, they get another turn; otherwise, the game ends. At the end of the game, the program should work as follows: •if the final score is 21, output a message to say the player has won •if the final score is greater than 21, output a message to say the player has lost•if the final score is less than 21, the program generates a random number between 15 and 21 inclusive:redface:if this random number is greater than the player’s final score, output a message to say the player has lost ootherwise, output a message to say the player has won. Figure 17 shows the output of a program that plays this dice game. Figure 17 Roll1: 1Roll 2: 4Current score: 5Would you like to roll again? yes Roll 1: 1Roll 2: 6Current score: 12Would you like to roll again? yes Roll 1: 1Roll 2: 2Current score: 15Would you like to roll again? yes Roll 1: 6Roll 2: 1Current score: 22You lost!Write a Python program to simulate this game.The first line has been writtenfor youin the answer grid.
31 *31*Turn over ►IB/G/Jun23/8525/1BDo not write outside theboxThe dice rolls are carried out by the program generating random numbers between 1 and 6. You will need to use the Python function random.randrange(a, b)which generates a random integer in the range a to b starting at a but finishingone before b. You should use indentation as appropriate, meaningful variable name(s) and Python syntax in your answer. The answer grid below contains vertical lines to help you indent your code.
yeah that’s the one
where do you get last years paper from? my teacher just wouldn't give it to us.. can someone post it here it would be really helpful!!
omg tysmmm now i can revise for tmw! i’ve done all the past papers and wanted to see new python programming questions. thanks once again!
Reply 9
Original post by Talkative Toad
AQA GCSE Computer Science Paper 1B Python (8525/1B) - 15th May 2024 [Exam Chat]
Welcome to the exam discussion thread for this exam. Introduce yourself! Let others know what you're aiming for in your exams, what you are struggling with in your revision or anything else.
Wishing you all the best of luck. :yy:
General Information
Date/Time: 15th May 2024/ PM
Length: 2hrs

hii does anyone know how likely it is for a psuedocode/flowchart question to come up?
I'm really annoyed the spec is only a few yrs old, there are hardly any past papers and what could come up with probably be a bit of a surprise since there isn't much to go off from previous exams

Also, does anyone know the % to get a 9 in paper 1? Its what I am aiming for - with honest expectations to get a 7 or 8 tbh - but it seems so unachievable ☹️
Reply 11
@crinkled sry its not letting me pm u.

Np anytime. I'f you can that'd be great because I don't have those but i'f i'm being honest I know I'm cooked. Computer Science is my worst subject.😭. Mby this is my sign to bang out 5 hours of revision before tmr.
Original post by PoppyRu19
I'm really annoyed the spec is only a few yrs old, there are hardly any past papers and what could come up with probably be a bit of a surprise since there isn't much to go off from previous exams
Also, does anyone know the % to get a 9 in paper 1? Its what I am aiming for - with honest expectations to get a 7 or 8 tbh - but it seems so unachievable ☹️

Check grade boundaries online
Original post by thunderarc
Check grade boundaries online

sorry i forgot they post them thx
Reply 14
Original post by PoppyRu19
sorry i forgot they post them thx

its roughly like 75/90 for a 9 pretty sure
begging aqa will treat this paper like all the rest
Reply 16
Original post by endgame_comber
begging aqa will treat this paper like all the rest

begging there will be like only one trace table thats nice
Original post by Es-Sk
@crinkled sry its not letting me pm u.
Np anytime. I'f you can that'd be great because I don't have those but i'f i'm being honest I know I'm cooked. Computer Science is my worst subject.😭. Mby this is my sign to bang out 5 hours of revision before tmr.

i sent u the link, but ill attach it here in case u cant see it

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RmV9AkUglzk7ht4wYiNgS1YJVMDrAQFa/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=108376813926829173019&rtpof=true&sd=true

do you have the mark scheme?? please and ty
Reply 19

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending