The Student Room Group

Laptop help?

HP Pavilion x360 14-ek1550sa 14" 2 in 1 Laptop - Intel® U300, 128 GB SSD, Silver

Is this laptop good?
Reply 1
Original post by idklol1
HP Pavilion x360 14-ek1550sa 14" 2 in 1 Laptop - Intel® U300, 128 GB SSD, Silver
Is this laptop good?

Looks decent enough for the £300 I could find it for, assuming all you want is a general purpose web/media/essay machine. Do you plan on doing anything more intensive than that?
Reply 2
Original post by TNGFR
Looks decent enough for the £300 I could find it for, assuming all you want is a general purpose web/media/essay machine. Do you plan on doing anything more intensive than that?
Yeah, I'm mainly going to be using it for university. Would the one above be better, or would this one be better? Microsoft Surface Book 1 - Core i5 2.4GHz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD. Sorry, it's just that I don't understand much about laptops lol.
As a laptop for supporting your studies, you can get much better laptops for less money elsewhere.
Laptops with more RAM, larger SSD, a nicer keyboard to type on, better engineered chassis, lids, hinges.

What's your mobility profile? Do you have the build of a Greek demi-god? Or are you of normal to slim build?
Will you be carrying the laptop around campus a lot? Or on buses or trains? Or will it be transported in the boot of your car?
Your mobility profile determines the optimum size of laptop for you.

The aim is to get you the joint best laptop on your course, that's also the cheapest.
Reply 4
Original post by idklol1
Yeah, I'm mainly going to be using it for university. Would the one above be better, or would this one be better? Microsoft Surface Book 1 - Core i5 2.4GHz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD. Sorry, it's just that I don't understand much about laptops lol.

The Surface Book 1 is over 8 years old at this point, it was a premium midranger compared to this one which is a modern entry level. Build quality and the display would be better on the Surface, but the processor would be a bit older than I would want to deal with in 2024, my job recently tried issuing me a laptop with a very similar processor last year, I very quickly got sick of it and requested a more recent model a few weeks later. The mechanised keyboard dock would also give me a bit of concern after almost a decade of actuations, so I definitely wouldn't be considering it unless it's from somewhere offering a warranty.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending