The Student Room Group

Foundation year

For people who have done a foundation year at university (particularly in stem but any), what was it like/what did you do for it? And do you get to the same level?
Original post by Izzystorer
For people who have done a foundation year at university (particularly in stem but any), what was it like/what did you do for it? And do you get to the same level?

Hi Izzystorer,

It can always be beneficial to consider a foundation degree. This can help you to get used to the whole feel for university but also learn the basics of the course you later want to embark on. It won't be as challenging as an undergraduate of course, but it will give you the underlying and base level of knowledge so when you do complete a STEM degree, you are aware of certain concepts!

All the best,
~Zaynab
University of Bradford
Just be aware that a Foundation year will tie you to that Uni, and only that Uni, for the main degree.

Its isnt a 'take-away' qualification that you can use anywhere else, so forget ideas of using that to trade-up to a 'better' Uni later. I always advise people to resit A levels to get better grades than do a Foundation year - cheaper, easier, and then you have 5 choices of where to do your main degree, not just one.
I think it’s a waste of money tbh, unless you don’t have enough ucas points. It’s mostly to get everyone up to scratch, then merging onto the actual course for year 1 (after foundation year) meaning you’ll technically be with the year below, not your own year for the vast majority.
Original post by Izzystorer

Hi! I did a foundation year before doing my undergrad (I've just recently finished 3rd year this year) :smile: The modules I did were biology, chemistry, maths, and an academic skills module. Overall, I found it quite helpful especially since I didn't do A Levels to help me get to the right level - even though it was during the pandemic some of the lecturers I had were better than some of the teachers I had in school, and learnt much quicker. However, it was quite intense (basically 2 years of A Level content) crammed into 2 semesters and I do remember some wobbles over certain chemistry topics :hide: :redface:

Quick Reply