The Student Room Group

Fairness for alternative assessment advice

My uni has granted an alternative assessment through a viva. I have asked for another adjustment to be made, which is to be told who is conducting the exam. There are 6 topics in the module and the normal exam, my peers can choose 2 of the 3 to answer (6 questions in total, only 4 to answer, split into two exams) and they will know the topic in advance. I have been refused this and have had to revise all 6 topics and expected to retain all of that information compared to my peers. When I asked for help from the disability team, they said they could not help as the department had told them to signpost students back to a particular lecturer. Does this sound fair? Is it reasonable to expect a student to remember that much information, especially when they have learning difficulties and physical health problems
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Rumpunchcherry
My uni has granted an alternative assessment through a viva. I have asked for another adjustment to be made, which is to be told who is conducting the exam. There are 6 topics in the module and the normal exam, my peers can choose 2 of the 3 to answer (6 questions in total, only 4 to answer, split into two exams) and they will know the topic in advance. I have been refused this and have had to revise all 6 topics and expected to retain all of that information compared to my peers. When I asked for help from the disability team, they said they could not help as the department had told them to signpost students back to a particular lecturer. Does this sound fair? Is it reasonable to expect a student to remember that much information, especially when they have learning difficulties and physical health problems

Hi,

The most reasonable adjustment I got in an exam was breaks/rest periods and only 20minutes in total, there was no adjustment to the actual exam. You could try talking to your Students Union for some advice/ assistance.

Quick Reply