The Student Room Group

Year 12 bio mocks help

Hi all, I am really behind in bio content (like a half year behind) because I did nothing in and out of class for months. My mocks are in 40 days, my last 2 tests came back as a high A (early year) and low A (mid year) but Ive done nothing since. I tried a past paper but I knew nothing from topic 3 and 4 so got a C. I hate actually learning content but theres so much that I think I actually have to in this case, any advice on how to tackle the content? I don’t actually know how to learn content apart from mindless questions and mark scheme practise and have never done anything else for all my gcses and other a levels and I feel theres too much content to do that so anyone have any advice how to? Especially considering the annoying application qs
Original post by Nayar3581
Hi all, I am really behind in bio content (like a half year behind) because I did nothing in and out of class for months. My mocks are in 40 days, my last 2 tests came back as a high A (early year) and low A (mid year) but Ive done nothing since. I tried a past paper but I knew nothing from topic 3 and 4 so got a C. I hate actually learning content but theres so much that I think I actually have to in this case, any advice on how to tackle the content? I don’t actually know how to learn content apart from mindless questions and mark scheme practise and have never done anything else for all my gcses and other a levels and I feel theres too much content to do that so anyone have any advice how to? Especially considering the annoying application qs
I tend to learn content by using flashcards and making notes from either my revision guide or textbook. Which exam board do you do?
Reply 2
Original post by flowersinmyhair
I tend to learn content by using flashcards and making notes from either my revision guide or textbook. Which exam board do you do?

AQA, I tried flashcards early in the year but I felt I was losing my mind and if I skipped a day on anki I would have to do double the flashcards, I hated every minute of it and I try write notes in class but it doesnt stick
AQA, I tried flashcards early in the year but I felt I was losing my mind and if I skipped a day on anki I would have to do double the flashcards, I hated every minute of it and I try write notes in class but it doesnt stick
I make flashcards from my notes usually and I use StudySmarter which doesn't force you to do anything but you can use spaced repetition if you want to. I got behind on flashcards (by well over 100) and it only took me about a week to catch them up. I think you need to try and be more patient with revision - it takes time, you can't just stop because one revision method doesn't work for you.
Reply 4
Original post by flowersinmyhair
I make flashcards from my notes usually and I use StudySmarter which doesn't force you to do anything but you can use spaced repetition if you want to. I got behind on flashcards (by well over 100) and it only took me about a week to catch them up. I think you need to try and be more patient with revision - it takes time, you can't just stop because one revision method doesn't work for you.

Thank you, do you have any tips for the application qs? They always trip me up and my mind goes blank
Reply 5

Hi, try listing then tackling the topics you don't understand, speak to teachers, and do a lot i mean a LOT of exam practice questions (they would help with the annoying application questions i hate them too). Try watching Miss Estruch on YouTube to cover missed content. I'd say pick the topics from the spec and then target them but don't neglect the other topics. I'm sitting mocks too and I'm incredibly stressed for biology its not like I lack the knowledge its just the exam skills are such an issue. Hope this helps, I'm sure you'll be fine.
Thank you, do you have any tips for the application qs? They always trip me up and my mind goes blank
I guess the main one is don't overthink it, you will likely know what it wants you to say, just don't trip up on the random context it gives you.

Quick Reply