The Student Room Group

Student loan requirements?

Hi, I am a British passport holder, I've been away for 5 years and have returned to the UK in June 2023. By the time I start Uni, it will be Sept 2025. Will officials need proof of residency for 3 full years or is it okay if i'm a settled citizen?
Original post by sakshi.11
Hi, I am a British passport holder, I've been away for 5 years and have returned to the UK in June 2023. By the time I start Uni, it will be Sept 2025. Will officials need proof of residency for 3 full years or is it okay if i'm a settled citizen?

Hi Sakshi, when are you moving back to the UK and where will you be living abroad? Thanks, Jason
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Jason
Hi Sakshi, when are you moving back to the UK and where will you be living abroad? Thanks, Jason

I've been back in the UK since June 2022 and I'm not moving anywhere at this point, but it depends on what Uni's I get, so maybe outside London.
I've been back in the UK since June 2022 and I'm not moving anywhere at this point, but it depends on what Uni's I get, so maybe outside London.

Hi Sakshi,

Thanks, were have you been living while abroad, has it been in the EEA?

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 4
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi Sakshi,
Thanks, were have you been living while abroad, has it been in the EEA?
Thanks, Graeme

I was in India for 5 years.
I was in India for 5 years.

Hi Sakshi,

Can you please confirm if it was June 22 or June 23 you came back to the UK? You've stated both the years.

Thanks, Ross
Reply 6
Original post by Ross SLC
Hi Sakshi,
Can you please confirm if it was June 22 or June 23 you came back to the UK? You've stated both the years.
Thanks, Ross

Sorry, its just June 2023
Sorry, its just June 2023

Thanks - to be eligible you normally need to have lived in the UK for 3 years prior to the start of your course.

However, time spent abroad is fine so long as it's temporary. For example, do you have a temporary visa or contract for your time abroad?

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 8
Original post by Graeme SFE
Thanks - to be eligible you normally need to have lived in the UK for 3 years prior to the start of your course.
However, time spent abroad is fine so long as it's temporary. For example, do you have a temporary visa or contract for your time abroad?
Thanks, Graeme

It wasn't that temporary, so I don't think so
Hi Sakshi,

When you were living in India if it was not on a temporary basis then you will need to live in the UK for 3 years prior to the 1st day of the 1 academic year of your course to be eligible for funding. If you moved back in June 2023 you would need to live here a further 2 years to be eligible for funding.

Thanks, Drew

Quick Reply