The Student Room Group

What would be some good uni course recommendations?

Hello, I am in year 12 and study a level biology, chemistry and geography I was wondering what some relevant courses may be.
Original post by Slugzie(:
Hello, I am in year 12 and study a level biology, chemistry and geography I was wondering what some relevant courses may be.

Well you can go pursue one of your 3 subjects purely or go into STEM or even some other subjects. Do you have a path in mind? I think your subject choices allow you to have some flexibility.

What do you find interesting in your current subjects (ie the topics within each subject)? Is there anything that you find interesting in your free time?
Good careers site with hundreds of job / career descriptions - Job profiles | Prospects.ac.uk
Lots of areas you might not even have though of.

Then look at some different Uni websites and read the information about different degree subjects on offer - anything that sounds interesting and doesnt have to be directly connected to your A level subjects. Two Unis to get started with :
Undergraduate Courses, Degrees : Study : University of Sussex
Subject Areas | Undergraduate | Newcastle University (ncl.ac.uk)
Reply 4
Original post by tulipbloom
Well you can go pursue one of your 3 subjects purely or go into STEM or even some other subjects. Do you have a path in mind? I think your subject choices allow you to have some flexibility.

I have been looking into Biology, biological sciences, earth sciences I think I will go more in the direction on biology and geography than chemistry. I am trying to find an option with good career prospects also.
(edited 1 month ago)
I have been looking into Biology, biological sciences, earth sciences I think I will go more in the direction on biology and geography than chemistry. I am trying to find an option with good career prospects also.

Geography in general has a range of great career prospects - if you want to go the NGO route that's there, or working for the government or advisory agencies etc. Biology also, because you could become a biologist in a very active way or again - working for a big organisation thats a possibility. Any kind of STEM degree (and I'm including geography here) also has great career prospects outside of just the field it describes. Science degrees are incredibly transferrable in terms of skills and people are always looking for stem graduates in general. I would say pick the one you like the look of the most - you could always apply to some kind of natural sciences course where you could pick a range - because any of the degrees you've mentioned lead onto great things.

Hi @Slugzie(:,

With these combinations you're likely to delve into STEM courses - some popular options include Biomedical Sciences, Healthcare Science or Geography. You can look further into the options using this site: https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-level-explorer/biology/chemistry/geography?o=012 - it tells you possible career pathways in each course as well.

Hope this helps,
Danish
BCU Student Rep
Reply 7

The large majority of graduates end up in careers that are not related to their degrees. As an example, a senior partner at an accountancy firm told me that some of the best accountancy he has had over the years had English degrees. If you have a look at graduate job websites, almost all of them will say 2:1 or 2:2 in any subject.

I would focus more on what you will enjoy and are good at, rather than restricting your choices to much to future career plans.
Reply 8
I like palaeontology also but I feel like that is too specific

Good

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending