The Student Room Group

OCR GCSE Latin Paper 2 (J282/02) - 22nd May 2024 [Exam Chat]

Poll

How did your OCR GCSE Latin Paper 2 exam go?

Welcome to the exam discussion thread for this exam. Introduce yourself! Let others know what you're aiming for in your exams, what you are struggling with in your revision or anything else.

Wishing you all the best of luck. :yy:

General Information
Date/Time: 14th May (afternoon)
Length: 1hr

(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Talkative Toad

Welcome to the exam discussion thread for this exam. Introduce yourself! Let others know what you're aiming for in your exams, what you are struggling with in your revision or anything else.
Wishing you all the best of luck. :yy:
General Information
Date/Time: 14th May (afternoon)
Length: 1hr
Any predictions ?
Hey everyone! Would appreciate any last minute advice on learning texts because I am an independent learner with a tutor and am doing A-Levels at the moment. As Latin has not been my primary focus (ultimately I don't need it but want to do well), does anyone have advice?
Original post by emily-05
Hey everyone! Would appreciate any last minute advice on learning texts because I am an independent learner with a tutor and am doing A-Levels at the moment. As Latin has not been my primary focus (ultimately I don't need it but want to do well), does anyone have advice?

Just make sure you have a good understanding of the text. Grade boundaries are high so make sure not to drop any marks on the short answer questions. Hope this helps!
Original post by diplodocus85
Just make sure you have a good understanding of the text. Grade boundaries are high so make sure not to drop any marks on the short answer questions. Hope this helps!

Thank you, just stressing because I have only had the chance to go over these texts once when I first translated them and have been working on writing out English translations so I can remember how the texts flow and also tomorrow I am hoping to have time to go through as much vocab as possible. Thank you for your help :smile:
Original post by maya_hilletje
For Sagae Thessalae and Cicero, for the ten marker I accidentally talked about Thelyphron and Canius (instead of Pythius). I wrote a lot of points on Thelyphron and 2 on Canius. How many marks will I lose for the not talking about Pythius?

Chill because for a 10 marker you only need 6 good points.
How did everyone find the 8 marker? I thought it was banging…
Reply 7
Original post by samuelforrest
How did everyone find the 8 marker? I thought it was banging…
Yeah it was so good there was actually so much to say. I really liked the 10 marker too though.
(edited 1 month ago)
I don't want to be too confident but I actually think both prose papers were good!
The 10 marker u could literally talk abt anything
Original post by ceoiku
Yeah it was so good there was actually so much to say. I really liked the 10 marker too though.

Ikkkk so much to say. Sad that the invigilators were reluctant to give me an extra slip page
Reply 11
Chill because for a 10 marker you only need 6 good points.

i don’t think it’s even that. i think it’s just give a range of good examples from the text
Reply 12
Original post by maya_hilletje
For Sagae Thessalae and Cicero, for the ten marker I accidentally talked about Thelyphron and Canius (instead of Pythius). I wrote a lot of points on Thelyphron and 2 on Canius. How many marks will I lose for the not talking about Pythius?

i think u can only get 6/10 as you did not address the pythius part
I did 5 points on Sagae Thessale and 2 on Pythias but my points are very detailed, with quotes and translations. I hope I get 8/10.
Reply 14
when you write your paragraphs are you meant to include techniques that the writers have used?? bcos technically they havent used any techniques cos its prose not verse?? i said that the use of certain adjectives creates a certain tone or whatver but i didnt add any fancy terminology like emphatic position and stuff
when you write your paragraphs are you meant to include techniques that the writers have used?? bcos technically they havent used any techniques cos its prose not verse?? i said that the use of certain adjectives creates a certain tone or whatver but i didnt add any fancy terminology like emphatic position and stuff

not for the 10 marker, which focuses on content of the text overall
I did 5 points on Sagae Thessale and 2 on Pythias but my points are very detailed, with quotes and translations. I hope I get 8/10.

you quoted the Latin? You aren't meant to - focus on the content in English
Original post by Aeeeeeee
you quoted the Latin? You aren't meant to - focus on the content in English

Yeh your not supposed to but like surely I can’t lose marks

Quick Reply