The Student Room Group

Cardiff or Liverpool??

Ive narrowed down my choices to Cardiff and Liverpool but really cant make up my mind!! I applied for architecture. I took a gap year so they are both unconditional and i want to decide this week so i can apply for accommodation.

Pros for Cardiff:
- nicer city, where the architecture building is is beautiful and not too far from the city centre
- the nightlife is good, although probably not as good as Liverpool
- higher ranking both for architecture and overall

Cons for cardiff:
- maybe too close to home (30 minutes)
- accommodation wasnt nice, i would only want to be in taly and i can’t guarantee that
- accommodation is quite far from the architecture building and city centre

Pros for Liverpool:
- amazing nightlife
- the accommodation is much nicer than in cardiff, and more conveniently located
- i really liked the course tutors when i went for the offer holder day

Cons for Liverpool:
- lower rankings
- i feel like I would feel safer in cardiff, although i could be wrong about that

I would really value any input as i am struggling massively!! Thank you :smile:
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 1
hey just so you know uni rankings in general are pretty meaningless apart from getting a very general idea of how good a uni is- and especially so for architecture cause when you're applying for jobs employers will be primarily looking at your portfolio not the uni name on your CV. have a look at student work instead because it'll give you an idea of the kind of projects you'll be working on and thus will end up in your portfolio - project themes/briefs, skills, deliverables etc. pick the course/city you like more
Liverpool 2023
Cardiff 2022

i went to cardiff myself and ended up in senghenydd in my first year, it wasnt bad tbf - after first year you'll be moving out anyway or in your case you could commute and save money if you felt so inclined. course-wise cardiff has a good rep for sustainable design and that sort of thing so if that's something you're interested in cardiff would be a good choice. i don't know any specifics of liverpool's course but would always recommend reading the RIBA course reports to see if the course aligns with your interests
Original post by jjehuehr
Ive narrowed down my choices to Cardiff and Liverpool but really cant make up my mind!! I applied for architecture. I took a gap year so they are both unconditional and i want to decide this week so i can apply for accommodation.
Pros for Cardiff:
- nicer city, where the architecture building is is beautiful and not too far from the city centre
- the nightlife is good, although probably not as good as Liverpool
- higher ranking both for architecture and overall
Cons for cardiff:
- maybe too close to home (30 minutes)
- accommodation wasnt nice, i would only want to be in taly and i can’t guarantee that
- accommodation is quite far from the architecture building and city centre
Pros for Liverpool:
- amazing nightlife
- the accommodation is much nicer than in cardiff, and more conveniently located
- i really liked the course tutors when i went for the offer holder day
Cons for Liverpool:
- lower rankings
- i feel like I would feel safer in cardiff, although i could be wrong about that
I would really value any input as i am struggling massively!! Thank you :smile:

Hi there! Cardiff student here. Those are totally valid pros and cons! I would just mention for the accommodation side of things, every little change you make to your option counts as a different option. So for example, if I put down "Talybont North" and "Talybont North with quiet living", that counts as two options. Despite the university requiring 10 options to put down, when I applied, most of my choices were Talybont because of this ahah.

I'd also recommend giving Cardiff accom a second look as well as the uni has reserved some rooms in UniteStudents accomodation. These are quite nice and are on par with Taly. There are places very close to the city center for this, such as Adam Street Gardens and Ty Pont Haearn. Although apologies if I misread, and if you've already looked at them & still prefer Taly!

Hope that helps and let me know if you had any other questions,

~ Fatiha, Cardiff University Student Rep
(edited 2 months ago)
Hi, I studied in Liverpool for my undergraduate and MA and absolutely fell in love with the city as I moved over from Northern Ireland, you have all valid pros and cons league tables weren't too much of an issue I did use them when shortlisting unis but I asked myself was it cost-effective to live there, what else does the university offer in terms enriching yourself for once you leave uni, in terms of feeling safe I have found Liverpool to be one of the safer bigger cities in the UK with the crime rate below the national average and the very friendly locals. For me I thoroughly enjoyed my time here with around 60,000 students in the city I found that this was really reflected in the overall atmosphere. Of course, I can't comment on the student experience in Cardiff as I haven't studied there. I hope this helps 🙂

-Sasha, Graduate Advocate

Quick Reply