The Student Room Group

International student seeking advice on which GEM course to choose

Hi everyone,

I hope you're all doing well. I'm seeking advice from those familiar with the UK university landscape, particularly in Graduate Entry Medicine. As an international student with limited knowledge about universities in the UK, I've found myself in a bit of a dilemma and could really use some guidance.

After putting my best efforts into applying for Graduate Entry Medicine, I've received offers from four universities: Brunel, Chester, King's, and Surrey. Initially, King's seemed like the obvious choice for me, but they recently changed my GEM admission to a regular medicine degree, because I pay international fees, extending the duration to five years and significantly increasing the cost. Understandably, this administration error and less-than-acceptable attitude have made me reconsider my options.

Now, I find myself unsure about which university to choose among Brunel, Chester, and Surrey. I must admit, I don't know much about these universities or the towns they're located in. Additionally, I'll have to live off-campus due to my pet, and I'm trying to keep my expenses as low as possible, especially since I'll already be taking out a loan for tuition.

Aspects important to me are the city's safety and nightlife. I am an African young woman and I'm trying to put my family's minds at ease. I would also appreciate the proximity to affordable black services like haircare and skincare. I also enjoy clubbing and would prefer a city with a vibrant and enjoyable nightlife scene. With this in mind, I'm seeking advice on which university would be the best fit for me given these considerations.

I have a friend in Chester who is encouraging me to go there because it's relatively safe since it's a high-income area and it's close to Liverpool and Manchester. Additionally, Chester is a new program so I'd expect it to have good equipment but there is a risk that a new program would not be organized. Surrey University is the other option I'm considering since it's close to London and unlike Chester, its program is more established. I was advised to not consider my Brunel offer.

Moreover, I'm curious about the significance of overlooking King's offer. Are all MBBS degrees equivalent, or should I seriously consider King's despite the changes they've made to the program?

Any insights or advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help!

Quick Reply