The Student Room Group

A Levels Economics, Mathematics, Computer Science

Hi, so I'm an international student and I am currently choosing my A-Levels, on which I will start later this year. I aspire to become a financial analyst yet I will start by going to university w/ a business, economics, or accounting major. I'm looking forward to applying to unis in the UK, yet I don't know their specific criteria for the A-Levels. I choose all sciences, maths and business for me IGCSE, fyi. Is it a good combo?
Original post by jsphn_ilona
Hi, so I'm an international student and I am currently choosing my A-Levels, on which I will start later this year. I aspire to become a financial analyst yet I will start by going to university w/ a business, economics, or accounting major. I'm looking forward to applying to unis in the UK, yet I don't know their specific criteria for the A-Levels. I choose all sciences, maths and business for me IGCSE, fyi. Is it a good combo?

"Financial analyst" is terribly vague, but your subject combination is perfectly suitable assuming you mean regular roles in financial services. Ideal even. I took Maths, Economics, CS, and Business. I got offers for Accounting & Finance from LSE, Warwick, KCL, Bath, and Bristol. It's a good combination.

The only "must" as a subject is Maths, where you will need A or better, although for the most competitive courses you'll likely need to exceed the course requirements substantially.

What will really set you apart as an applicant is how good your personal statement is.

Check out some of the following course pages, they tend to be very comprehensive (of course you might prefer to study economics or management, for which you can find similar pages easily):

www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/undergraduate/bsc-accounting-and-finance

https://www.wbs.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/accounting-and-finance/

https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/accounting-finance-bsc

https://www.bath.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate-2024/accounting-and-finance/bsc-accounting-and-finance/
Hi,

Within universities we are many looking at level 3 qualifications (A-Levels, BTEC etc.) you can have a look at the webpage of the universities that you are interested in and under the tab of entry requirements, which should clearly state the requirement for the course you are interested in.

Hope I managed to help

Kaprice R
LSBU Rep

Be careful in taking economics and business. They overlap and some unis such as LSE want a broad mix of subjects.
Original post by ageshallnot
Be careful in taking economics and business. They overlap and some unis such as LSE want a broad mix of subjects.

They said Maths, Economics, and CS. Should be perfectly fine. I took those 3 + Business, got offers from LSE, Warwick, KCL, Bath, Bristol for A&F. Should be absolutely fine.
Reply 5
Original post by Vesti La Giubba
"Financial analyst" is terribly vague, but your subject combination is perfectly suitable assuming you mean regular roles in financial services. Ideal even. I took Maths, Economics, CS, and Business. I got offers for Accounting & Finance from LSE, Warwick, KCL, Bath, and Bristol. It's a good combination.
The only "must" as a subject is Maths, where you will need A or better, although for the most competitive courses you'll likely need to exceed the course requirements substantially.
What will really set you apart as an applicant is how good your personal statement is.
Check out some of the following course pages, they tend to be very comprehensive (of course you might prefer to study economics or management, for which you can find similar pages easily):
www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/undergraduate/bsc-accounting-and-finance
https://www.wbs.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/accounting-and-finance/
https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/accounting-finance-bsc
https://www.bath.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate-2024/accounting-and-finance/bsc-accounting-and-finance/

Thank you so much for all the help! I look up to you ^^
Thank you so much for all the help! I look up to you ^^

You're welcome. And I'd just like to add, for the most competitive economics courses, you'd likely be expected to take Further Maths and/or the TMUA. Do look into that if it's something you're considering. All the best for your studies!
Reply 7
You're welcome. And I'd just like to add, for the most competitive economics courses, you'd likely be expected to take Further Maths and/or the TMUA. Do look into that if it's something you're considering. All the best for your studies!
Thank you, I'll keep that in mind!
Knowing that you got offers from great universities in the UK, do you have any recommendation for me to strengthen on my non-academic skills? For example like economics competition or building a business, or things that may potentially help me better in your experience?
Thank you, I'll keep that in mind!
Knowing that you got offers from great universities in the UK, do you have any recommendation for me to strengthen on my non-academic skills? For example like economics competition or building a business, or things that may potentially help me better in your experience?

It all has to be personal to you and your journey. It's difficult to say what exactly you should do, but I'd recommend exploring different areas in economics, finance, accounting, and management. Once you know which degree you want to do, I'd suggest focusing very deeply on 3-4 topics/materials.

The admissions officers don't want a list of dozens of activities, rather a deep dive and critical analysis of a handful. Overall I probably did 15+ courses (detailed courses too, on average probably 6+ hours per course) and read at least 5-6 books, plus an internship. At the end, only 2 courses, 1 book, some personal valuation work, and my views on an academic paper on a popular asset pricing model made it into my personal statement. Point here being that quality is far more important than quantity. I did all those courses and readings because I enjoyed them, but I could have easily done less than half of it and had an equally competitive application.

It should also be academic in nature, so building a business is probably not as valuable (purely from an application perspective) as compared to, for example, studying a business theorist's academic paper, and analysing it critically. This is the reason why I eliminated so many of the courses and readings since they were not (in my view) academic enough. Of course the actual material you engage with can be anything as long as they are related to your subject. Have a look at the course pages I had suggested, this could be a good starting point for some inspiration on what to research.

Another thing is that you should be reading the Financial Times, Wall Street Journal, and Bloomberg UK/US regularly if you have access. While this isn't necessarily going to help you with your application, it can provide inspiration for certain current topics you might want to discuss.

Sorry if this was a little dense, but I hope it is helpful. For general tips on the personal statement, here are some fantastic videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=955Z7n2L_C0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcRkNfkxTxk
Reply 9
It all has to be personal to you and your journey. It's difficult to say what exactly you should do, but I'd recommend exploring different areas in economics, finance, accounting, and management. Once you know which degree you want to do, I'd suggest focusing very deeply on 3-4 topics/materials.
The admissions officers don't want a list of dozens of activities, rather a deep dive and critical analysis of a handful. Overall I probably did 15+ courses (detailed courses too, on average probably 6+ hours per course) and read at least 5-6 books, plus an internship. At the end, only 2 courses, 1 book, some personal valuation work, and my views on an academic paper on a popular asset pricing model made it into my personal statement. Point here being that quality is far more important than quantity. I did all those courses and readings because I enjoyed them, but I could have easily done less than half of it and had an equally competitive application.
It should also be academic in nature, so building a business is probably not as valuable (purely from an application perspective) as compared to, for example, studying a business theorist's academic paper, and analysing it critically. This is the reason why I eliminated so many of the courses and readings since they were not (in my view) academic enough. Of course the actual material you engage with can be anything as long as they are related to your subject. Have a look at the course pages I had suggested, this could be a good starting point for some inspiration on what to research.
Another thing is that you should be reading the Financial Times, Wall Street Journal, and Bloomberg UK/US regularly if you have access. While this isn't necessarily going to help you with your application, it can provide inspiration for certain current topics you might want to discuss.
Sorry if this was a little dense, but I hope it is helpful. For general tips on the personal statement, here are some fantastic videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=955Z7n2L_C0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcRkNfkxTxk

Thank you so much for the advice ^^ I hope you can succeed well! Thank you!

Yeah, as for your iGCSE subjects your good to go. i also do the same a level combination and the a-levels you selected look good

Quick Reply