The Student Room Group

self-study/fast-track GCSE Latin

for context: I'm an older student (already in university) but i want to take A level Latin soon and change majors to study classics at uni. I've never had any classical training at school.

I'm worried about dedicating enough time to it, especially as I'm already dealing with a large workload. Is fast-tracking GCSE Latin possible/advisable?

if anyone has self-studied/homeschooled GCSE Latin before, how did you find the experience? And to all past students of GCSE Latin: any tips?
Original post by 0RESTEIA
for context: I'm an older student (already in university) but i want to take A level Latin soon and change majors to study classics at uni. I've never had any classical training at school.
I'm worried about dedicating enough time to it, especially as I'm already dealing with a large workload. Is fast-tracking GCSE Latin possible/advisable?
if anyone has self-studied/homeschooled GCSE Latin before, how did you find the experience? And to all past students of GCSE Latin: any tips?

Hi!! I’m taking GCSE Latin currently (eduquas board)
For us it’s 50% Latin language and the other 50% is about literature things
For language, there are important things and sentence structures you need to learn
BUT in order to do that you first need to learn declensions + basic tenses + how to tackle basic sentences.
If you’re starting Latin language from scratch I recommend latintutorial on YouTube
For us there’s around 300+ words in Latin you need to learn

Literature is kind of tricky in my opinion. It’s open book for us, but there are a LOT of analysis within the texts that you need to learn beforehand, however I think eduquas gives out analysis my teacher gave us the pdf but I think it’s accessible on the internet. The Latin in the literature contains more words that you don’t know outside the vocab list, and you need to memorise the translations of these.
I’m not sure if this is different to other exam boards
With a lot of hard work I think you’d be able to do it, but it will be easier if you have a tutor doing it alongside you. All the best!
Reply 2
Original post by mayarpapayar
Hi!! I’m taking GCSE Latin currently (eduquas board)
For us it’s 50% Latin language and the other 50% is about literature things
For language, there are important things and sentence structures you need to learn
BUT in order to do that you first need to learn declensions + basic tenses + how to tackle basic sentences.
If you’re starting Latin language from scratch I recommend latintutorial on YouTube
For us there’s around 300+ words in Latin you need to learn
Literature is kind of tricky in my opinion. It’s open book for us, but there are a LOT of analysis within the texts that you need to learn beforehand, however I think eduquas gives out analysis my teacher gave us the pdf but I think it’s accessible on the internet. The Latin in the literature contains more words that you don’t know outside the vocab list, and you need to memorise the translations of these.
I’m not sure if this is different to other exam boards
With a lot of hard work I think you’d be able to do it, but it will be easier if you have a tutor doing it alongside you. All the best!

thank you for the reply! i'm doing OCR so i think it's a bit different (particularly literature) but overall it's roughly similar. thank you sm for the tips i appreciate it! i'm a bit nervous about self-learning because i don't have access to a tutor but i'm also fairly confident in my own ability to get me through it, so hopefully it works out <3
thank you for the reply! i'm doing OCR so i think it's a bit different (particularly literature) but overall it's roughly similar. thank you sm for the tips i appreciate it! i'm a bit nervous about self-learning because i don't have access to a tutor but i'm also fairly confident in my own ability to get me through it, so hopefully it works out <3

No worries!! You’ll do great 💙 confidence and determination is key

Hi, I've just finished 2/3 exams for OCR Latin GCSE. I'm self-studying as well, but doing through the topics needed for GCSE via Sulis Learning. Have you heard of them? They are the cheapest provider of classical education on the web that I've seen, thus far. That's because you just learn from pre-recorded slides and can only answer questions via email, rather than 1-2-1 help from a tutor that's always accessible during teaching hours. If you plan on taking the autodidact route (other than some errors that I flagged e.g the 2nd conjugation verb not matching the paradigm we need to refer to, because it's actually seen more in Medieval Latin, than Classical Latin, that they were quick to answer about, apologise for and made a note to change said slides) I would definitely recommend them.

The professor that created the course also helps to shepherd the training of Primary school teachers as part of 'Classics for All' charity. As I'm sure you're aware Classics has a classism problem, with only a small portion of the populace have the opportunity to study the Ancient world, let-a-lone to a formal qualification. This is obviously going to have an effect on higher education choices. So, it's nice to see him put his money where his mouth is. This ethos of accessible education is reflected in the price point, as it's the cheapest online provider of classical education and you can pay in instalments. I'm definitely enjoying my time learning with them, so far. 😊

Quick Reply

Latest