The Student Room Group

How to move from A to A* in History (AQA A-level)

I have been getting As since yr12 and I have been trying to understand what I need to do move from Lvl 4 to Lvl 5 as that’s the most likely where u can get an A*.
My teacher has said that I have been doing everything that I can and has stated that the improvements will “come naturally” as he believes that the style for level 5 will come at one point.
Is there any advice that anyone would consider to improve for the grade
Reply 1
Original post by Aabdulazee
I have been getting As since yr12 and I have been trying to understand what I need to do move from Lvl 4 to Lvl 5 as that’s the most likely where u can get an A*.
My teacher has said that I have been doing everything that I can and has stated that the improvements will “come naturally” as he believes that the style for level 5 will come at one point.

Btw yr13 exam in 2 weeks

Yes. I am doing my A-Levels this month. Look at the mark schemes, examiner reports, exemplar answers. You might need to buy hodder education revision books, they have exemplars. You xan also get nicholas fellows hodder book how to get a/a* history. Not every alevel hidtory focus has level 5 exemplars so just download other time periods. Compare the language and highlight it. Basically, you have to be very analyrical. Talk about causes and effects. Don't deviate from the question. Do plan your essays. Hope that helped. What are you doing in history?
Reply 3
Original post by Hannahblossom
Yes. I am doing my A-Levels this month. Look at the mark schemes, examiner reports, exemplar answers. You might need to buy hodder education revision books, they have exemplars. You xan also get nicholas fellows hodder book how to get a/a* history. Not every alevel hidtory focus has level 5 exemplars so just download other time periods. Compare the language and highlight it. Basically, you have to be very analyrical. Talk about causes and effects. Don't deviate from the question. Do plan your essays. Hope that helped. What are you doing in history?

Thanks I do Paper 1C(Tudors) and 2Q (American Dream 1945-1980). In section B I normally give myself 5 minutes to plan for the essay.

I think my teacher own some of the book so I’ll ask if I can borrow it during class(we’re just revising at this point)
As for example answer luckily my teacher has placed A* graded papers for both sections so I’ve been reading them and trying to understand what that did correctly to get lvl 5
Thanks I do Paper 1C(Tudors) and 2Q (American Dream 1945-1980). In section B I normally give myself 5 minutes to plan for the essay.
I think my teacher own some of the book so I’ll ask if I can borrow it during class(we’re just revising at this point)
As for example answer luckily my teacher has placed A* graded papers for both sections so I’ve been reading them and trying to understand what that did correctly to get lvl 5

Look at level 4 answers as they will give a better idea of what is needed for an a*
Reply 5
Original post by Hannahblossom
Look at level 4 answers as they will give a better idea of what is needed for an a*

Thanks, it's so problematic though at this point for section B as the last essay I gave to my teacher on Thursday he said that there was no problems but it was still a lvl 4 answer

Quick Reply