The Student Room Group

Failing my year 12 internal exams

Hi, everyone. First time writing here and I wish it was on a happier occassion. I am a boarding student with a scholarship and currently in the exam week where I just finished my first chemistry exam (I have the 2nd one in few days). During the last 2 months I struggled with mental health and motivation and almost got no revision for these mocks. I am 99% certain that I will fail this chemistry exam and was just wondering what is the process if I do get an U or an E or a D? How would I increase my predicted grades from here? Is it the end of the world? Will my school cancel my scholarship? How can I recover from this, because it was sort of a wake up call, I feel so ashamed with myself and what stress I will put my mother through? Thank you in advance, much love!
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by shuttered-sword
Hi, everyone. First time writing here and I wish it was on a happier occassion. I am a boarding student with a scholarship and currently in the exam week where I just finished my first chemistry exam (I have the 2nd one in few days). During the last 2 months I struggled with mental health and motivation and almost got no revision for these mocks. I am 99% certain that I will fail this chemistry exam and was just wondering what is the process if I do get an U or an E or a D? How would I increase my predicted grades from here? Is it the end of the world? Will my school cancel my scholarship? How can I recover from this, because it was sort of a wake up call, I feel so ashamed with myself and what stress I will put my mother through? Thank you in advance, much love!

Hi!! PLS BREATHE!!!

You have so much time to turn your predicted grades around I promise!! For a lot of people the year 12 mocks are a bit of a wake up call. My best friend mostly got E's and applied to uni predicted AAA.

My advice is to work hard this summer, smash your topic tests in Year 13 and MOST IMPORTANTLY show your teachers your dedication. So many teachers are more willing to increase predicted grades if you show them how bad you want it and how hard you're willing to work for it. As long as they see improvement it will be fine!!! I was getting Bs and some Cs in chemistry but I frequently talked to my teacher about how badly I wanted an A* predicted grade and how I need it for my uni applications and eventually he gave in😭😭. Just show them you are capable of achieving the grades you're after and they'll listen!!!

Some schools have meetings with people who achieved low grades on the mocks but that is nothing to be worried about!!! Usually it's to discuss if you should continue into the next year or not. But again, as long as you show your determination and explain that you had a really hard time this year, they'll listen!!

I don't know about scholarships but if it is something weighing on you I really recommend finding a teacher you trust or maybe staff in pastoral to talk to and they can talk with you about what they expect from you :smile:)

But once again, BREATHE!!! You still have a LOT of time to turn things around and the fact that you're this worried just shows how badly you want to succeed so I think you'll be just fine:smile:))
Original post by Prince Ali
Hi!! PLS BREATHE!!!
You have so much time to turn your predicted grades around I promise!! For a lot of people the year 12 mocks are a bit of a wake up call. My best friend mostly got E's and applied to uni predicted AAA.
My advice is to work hard this summer, smash your topic tests in Year 13 and MOST IMPORTANTLY show your teachers your dedication. So many teachers are more willing to increase predicted grades if you show them how bad you want it and how hard you're willing to work for it. As long as they see improvement it will be fine!!! I was getting Bs and some Cs in chemistry but I frequently talked to my teacher about how badly I wanted an A* predicted grade and how I need it for my uni applications and eventually he gave in😭😭. Just show them you are capable of achieving the grades you're after and they'll listen!!!
Some schools have meetings with people who achieved low grades on the mocks but that is nothing to be worried about!!! Usually it's to discuss if you should continue into the next year or not. But again, as long as you show your determination and explain that you had a really hard time this year, they'll listen!!
I don't know about scholarships but if it is something weighing on you I really recommend finding a teacher you trust or maybe staff in pastoral to talk to and they can talk with you about what they expect from you :smile:)
But once again, BREATHE!!! You still have a LOT of time to turn things around and the fact that you're this worried just shows how badly you want to succeed so I think you'll be just fine:smile:))

Thank you, I just received the grades for biology and history which were D (D on one test and C on the other) and C (on the higher end apparently). I will most likely receive chemistry results tomorrow, and I just hope I can manage to squeeze out an E, because I think they said getting an U is not tolerable to the school or something along those lines. Even if I do fail chemistry and it kind of ruins everything, I am glad there is a stranger out there cheering for me and who took the time to encourage me. Thank you!!!

Quick Reply