The Student Room Group

Helpful little memory tricks I use for AQA GCSE Biology

Hi everyone! Biology exam is tomorrow so here's a few little tricks I use to help me remember certain things! :biggrin:

Prokaryotes and Eukaryotes: If you sound out Eukaryote in your head, the first syllable sounds like YOU. What are YOU? A multicellular organism! So Eukaryotes are multicellular! Also, YOU are a lot bigger than bacteria, so Eukaryotes are bigger than Prokaryotes. :smile:

Food Tests: Okay so this is a bit of a stretch, but Benedict's solution (+ heat!!!!! remember that!!!) tests for sugar because eggs benedict is has the same name as Benedict's solution. Haribo eggs are very sugary, so Benedict's (+ heat!!) tests for sugar! Benedict's -> Eggs Benedict -> Haribo Eggs -> Sugar!! Also, I remember iodine tests for starch because in the microscopy practical we (at least my school did) used potato slices, and iodine as the dye. Potatoes are really starchy, so iodine tests for starch! Iodine -> Microscopy practical -> Potatoes -> Starch! And the last one left is Biuret's, so that tests for protein (haven't thought of one for that yet :frown:)

As for the colours, with Benedict's solution, we talked about Haribos. Another type of Haribo is the strawberry. It's green at the top, and then goes red, so the change is green -> red! As for Iodine, this one is really wacky (but hey, science proves that the weirder an image is, the more it sticks in your head). So we talked about potatoes for starch earlier, well what happens if you (forgive me for this lmao) beat up Mr Potato Head from Toy Story? He'll get bruises. What colour are bruises?? Black and blue! So Iodine -> Black/Blue!! And finally, protein. Thanos is purple, and he's buff, so he eats lots of protein, so Biuret's -> Purple!

These are all the ones I could think of off the top of my head; I'll update this post if I can think of any more as I do some more revision! Feel free to drop any you guys use in the comments! Good luck revising everyone; we'll do great tomorrow! :biggrin:
Original post by xAspect
Hi everyone! Biology exam is tomorrow so here's a few little tricks I use to help me remember certain things! :biggrin:

Prokaryotes and Eukaryotes: If you sound out Eukaryote in your head, the first syllable sounds like YOU. What are YOU? A multicellular organism! So Eukaryotes are multicellular! Also, YOU are a lot bigger than bacteria, so Eukaryotes are bigger than Prokaryotes. :smile:

Food Tests: Okay so this is a bit of a stretch, but Benedict's solution (+ heat!!!!! remember that!!!) tests for sugar because eggs benedict is has the same name as Benedict's solution. Haribo eggs are very sugary, so Benedict's (+ heat!!) tests for sugar! Benedict's -> Eggs Benedict -> Haribo Eggs -> Sugar!! Also, I remember iodine tests for starch because in the microscopy practical we (at least my school did) used potato slices, and iodine as the dye. Potatoes are really starchy, so iodine tests for starch! Iodine -> Microscopy practical -> Potatoes -> Starch! And the last one left is Biuret's, so that tests for protein (haven't thought of one for that yet :frown:)

As for the colours, with Benedict's solution, we talked about Haribos. Another type of Haribo is the strawberry. It's green at the top, and then goes red, so the change is green -> red! As for Iodine, this one is really wacky (but hey, science proves that the weirder an image is, the more it sticks in your head). So we talked about potatoes for starch earlier, well what happens if you (forgive me for this lmao) beat up Mr Potato Head from Toy Story? He'll get bruises. What colour are bruises?? Black and blue! So Iodine -> Black/Blue!! And finally, protein. Thanos is purple, and he's buff, so he eats lots of protein, so Biuret's -> Purple!

These are all the ones I could think of off the top of my head; I'll update this post if I can think of any more as I do some more revision! Feel free to drop any you guys use in the comments! Good luck revising everyone; we'll do great tomorrow! :biggrin:

This is so helpful! Thank you for taking the time to share :biggrin:

Could I merge this into our main exam chat for tomorrow or would you like to also share it in there? Just to make sure as many people as possible see it!
Reply 2
Original post by Evil Homer
This is so helpful! Thank you for taking the time to share :biggrin:
Could I merge this into our main exam chat for tomorrow or would you like to also share it in there? Just to make sure as many people as possible see it!

Yes, of course! Go ahead! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending