The Student Room Group

Portfolio help

Hi everyone! I'm a year 12 student right now, studying maths, physics, DT, and AS Further maths. I'm really interested in applying for the Design course at Cambridge and also the Engineering and Architectural Design course at UCL. I haven't done gcse art and i'm not good at drawing so I'm really really struggling with my portfolio.
Can someone please give me some advice??
I know I'll probably make some 3D CAD models to include, but then again i don't know what to make? I was also thinking of including my GCSE DT coursework, but I don't know what specific parts of it to put in?
I'm really interested in fashion so could I put in some fashion illustrations or maybe even some dresses that I've made before?

It'd be soooo great if anyone could send me their portfolio so I can have a kind of guideline to follow because I feel so lost right now😭......
Reply 1
hii, I didn't do art at gsce or alevel and applied for architecture (I'm in yr 13). For mine I used some stuff from my final project in yr11DT and then in yr 12 DT we had done a mini model making project which I also included. I had added some photos in as well bc that is what some unis wanted. I then followed some tutorials on youtube for some drawings/ watercolours and did a few sketches whilst I was out and saying that I had drawn them free hand in my sketchbook from observing my surroundings. Depending on the uni will depend on what they want so it could vary. For Cad designs I showed a page of different chair designs/ seating that I had come up with, however some unis don't want CAD included in portfolios
You should really work on practicing your observational drawing. Do a small amount every day and you will see improvements fairly quickly.
Reply 3
Original post by clxevjk
hii, I didn't do art at gsce or alevel and applied for architecture (I'm in yr 13). For mine I used some stuff from my final project in yr11DT and then in yr 12 DT we had done a mini model making project which I also included. I had added some photos in as well bc that is what some unis wanted. I then followed some tutorials on youtube for some drawings/ watercolours and did a few sketches whilst I was out and saying that I had drawn them free hand in my sketchbook from observing my surroundings. Depending on the uni will depend on what they want so it could vary. For Cad designs I showed a page of different chair designs/ seating that I had come up with, however some unis don't want CAD included in portfolios
Ouuuu thanks so much for answering! I just wanna ask, what did you specifically include from your yr11 dt project? Was it just pictures of the final model or did you add some design sketches too? Also did you have to write anything about it?
Reply 4
You should really work on practicing your observational drawing. Do a small amount every day and you will see improvements fairly quickly.
Yeah that’s what I’m gonna start doing very soon, thanks for the advice!
Reply 5
Original post by myuyuo
Ouuuu thanks so much for answering! I just wanna ask, what did you specifically include from your yr11 dt project? Was it just pictures of the final model or did you add some design sketches too? Also did you have to write anything about it?
I was the year where we didn't have to do a model for the final design so I included my favourite prototype. I wrote about some of the things included in my portfolio about where they where or what it was/ what I had done so it wasn't just pictures

Quick Reply