The Student Room Group

Cambridge Foundation Year 2025 Applicants

Hi :smile:

As this year’s application cycle has come to a close, I thought I would make a new thread for the upcoming year.

For a bit of background about me, I am currently in year 13 and will be re-applying to uni during a gap year for Law. In terms of my eligibility for the FY, I come from a low-income background and have been a young carer since around year 8. I thought we could use the structure from last years thread to share our stories :smile:

College Choice:
Preffered Subjects:
Academic History:
Reasons for choosing the FY over the October Admissions:
Other Uni Choices:
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by chaudhryu
Hi :smile:
As this year’s application cycle has come to a close, I thought I would make a new thread for the upcoming year.
For a bit of background about me, I am currently in year 13 and will be re-applying to uni during a gap year for Law. In terms of my eligibility for the FY, I come from a low-income background and have been a young carer since around year 8. I thought we could use the structure from last years thread to share our stories :smile:
College Choice:
Preffered Subjects:
Academic History:
Reasons for choosing the FY over the October Admissions:
Other Uni Choices:

Hi,

I applied for the Foundation Year last year but was rejected after interviews. I’m currently in Year 13 and planning to take a gap year. At this moment, I’m debating reapplying or applying for the Oxford Foundation Year in Law. My preferred college is Newnham and I would like to study Law or HSPS after the Foundation Year.

I come from a low-income family and was diagnosed late with anxiety last year. My mental health has greatly impacted my GCSE performance, my predicted grades at A-Level and my overall attendance during sixth form. My school was unable to provide any sort of pastoral help this year which has resulted in numerous absences. I was also bullied throughout secondary school to the point I could not withstand the classroom environment. For much of Year 10 and 11, I worked outside the classroom as a result. I was accepted to Warwick, York and Newcastle but withdrew by application from KCL since I wasn’t able to commit enough to the admissions assessment due to my condition. After heavy consideration, the other unis, just did not meet my needs.

I’m praying my A-Levels go well this year, if not I’m determined to resit. For next year, I’m looking at Durham and UCL since they offer contextual offers. I plan to prioritise going to open days and finding unis that can support financially in the event I get rejected again.

Good luck to anyone else doing A-Levels and throughout this process!
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by tyrah
Hi,
I applied for the Foundation Year last year but was rejected after interviews. I’m currently in Year 13 and planning to take a gap year. At this moment, I’m debating reapplying or applying for the Oxford Foundation Year in Law. My preferred college is Newnham and I would like to study Law or HSPS after the Foundation Year.
I come from a low-income family and was diagnosed late with anxiety last year. My mental health has greatly impacted my GCSE performance, my predicted grades at A-Level and my overall attendance during sixth form. My school was unable to provide any sort of pastoral help this year which has resulted in numerous absences. I was also bullied throughout secondary school to the point I could not withstand the classroom environment. For much of Year 10 and 11, I worked outside the classroom as a result. I was accepted to Warwick, York and Newcastle but withdrew by application from KCL since I wasn’t able to commit enough to the admissions assessment due to my condition. After heavy consideration, the other unis, just did not meet my needs.
I’m praying my A-Levels go well this year, if not I’m determined to resit. For next year, I’m looking at Durham and UCL since they offer contextual offers. I plan to prioritise going to open days and finding unis that can support financially in the event I get rejected again.
Good luck to anyone else doing A-Levels and throughout this process!

I’m sorry to hear all you’ve been through :frown:

I’m also in a similar position in wanting to re-apply to the FY with my preferred college as Newnham. I’ve firmed Warwick, but I’m honestly not sure if it’s were I want to go. Were you thinking of firming any of your unis?
Reply 3
Original post by chaudhryu
I’m sorry to hear all you’ve been through :frown:
I’m also in a similar position in wanting to re-apply to the FY with my preferred college as Newnham. I’ve firmed Warwick, but I’m honestly not sure if it’s were I want to go. Were you thinking of firming any of your unis?

I also got an offer from Warwick for PPL (Politics, Philosophy, Law) but it just didn't feel right. I didn't have time due to my circumstances to attend the offer holder day or open day. To be honest, it felt like I was just applying because of its good reputation and its position as a Russell Group. Also, the tutiton fee demand from my offers terms and conditions was just not compatiable with my financial situation. Even SFE would not suffice. I understand all university students have financial worries but I could not fathem the fact it would heavily burden me so I decided to withdraw my UCAS application. I just know I would not enjoy it. This time, I plan to go to as many open days as possible to ensure I'm fully happy with my other choices if I get rejected again.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by tyrah
I also got an offer from Warwick for PPL (Politics, Philosophy, Law) but it just didn't feel right. I didn't have time due to my circumstances to attend the offer holder day or open day. To be honest, it felt like I was just applying because of its good reputation and its position as a Russell Group. Also, the tutiton fee demand from my offers terms and conditions was just not compatiable with my financial situation. Even SFE would not suffice. I understand all university students have financial worries but I could not fathem the fact it would heavily burden me so I decided to withdraw my UCAS application. I just know I would not enjoy it. This time, I plan to go to as many open days as possible to ensure I'm fully happy with my other choices if I get rejected again.

I’m in the exact same boat, my fear is that I’ll be rejected by all my choices next year and be forced into another gap year.

Also, for the FY, would you go with the same preference subjects as this year? I did law first and English second this year, but I was thinking of switching them around when re applying
How would you write your personal statement for the foundation year as there are many subjects, or do you write for your specific interest?
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
How would you write your personal statement for the foundation year as there are many subjects, or do you write for your specific interest?

You would write your personal statement for the subject that you are applying to outside of the FY. For example, mine was based around law this year since I had applied to law for my other 4 unis.
Original post by Chaudhryu
You would write your personal statement for the subject that you are applying to outside of the FY. For example, mine was based around law this year since I had applied to law for my other 4 unis.

has anyone applied to something totally unrelated like stem and then obviously humanities in this foundation year? I asked the team and they said it won’t be disadvantageous to do that but I just want to know if anyone here has done that.
has anyone applied to something totally unrelated like stem and then obviously humanities in this foundation year? I asked the team and they said it won’t be disadvantageous to do that but I just want to know if anyone here has done that.
Why are you thinking of applying for the foundation year? Arts/humanities vs STEM is quite different and suggests you want to think more carefully about what you genuinely want to study.
Why are you thinking of applying for the foundation year? Arts/humanities vs STEM is quite different and suggests you want to think more carefully about what you genuinely want to study.

I know it is quite weird to apply to two completely different sectors, however I grew up with a massive interest of philosophy and jurisprudence and still do to this day.

The foundation year would allow me to explore my interest more deeply and I believe can help me to get to a conclusion of what I would want to study (and also help due to some circumstances in my life).

Though, I do think it is possible though to have a very strong interest in multiple things at a deep level.

Quick Reply