The Student Room Group

University of Birmingham Accounting and finance- my chances for Big 4

Hi I am a current year 13 student. I have received an offer of AAA to study BSC accounting and finance at the university of Birmingham. I am currently very torn about the decision between taking a gap year and accepting my offer at Birmingham.

Just wondering of my chances breaking into an Big4 accounting firms post graduation if i go to UOB and what my prospects are for future employability. id like to break into accounting but also would like to know if going to UOB for A&F gives me the flexibility to break into other fields like consulting.

Considering taking a gap year to reapply to a more prestigious university for A&F like Durham, Britstol or St Andrews. Unsure whether its worth taking a gap year to reapply or just settling with my Birmingham offer (just worried that the uni isnt good/prestigious enough and isnt well enough connected to finance industry)
checked linkedin and you will see many UOB grads get into the big 4, don't think its worth taking a gap year for.
UOB has an excellent reputation. Are you planning to do a placement 4 year degree?

If you want to move into consulting, doing the accountancy training first with any of the top 10 accountancy firms is the best move. In your position I wouldn't take a GAP year.
Original post by lindseywalsh
UOB has an excellent reputation. Are you planning to do a placement 4 year degree?
If you want to move into consulting, doing the accountancy training first with any of the top 10 accountancy firms is the best move. In your position I wouldn't take a GAP year.

its something that I have thought about. I haven't applied for it and I'm pretty sure that you need to be doing well on the course at the time in order to be given the opportunity so I'm assuming not everyone gets the chance to do a placement as spots are limited?. however I will definitely enquire about the chance to do a placement since it would help with experience.how vital is a placement in my scenario would you say
If you can do a placement, it is well worth it, but not vital.
Birmingham is recognised as a “high flier” university. For finance I would say it is as prestigious as Durham.

If your aim is to get into a good finance career, then UOB will stand you in very good stead. If your aim is to “say” you went to eg St Andrews, then re-sit.

But tbh, unless you are going to apply to Oxbridge, then UOB is as good as the other top names
The University of Birmingham is as prestigious as unis get. This year it was the number one choice for employers and has been like this for several years. I have just graduated from the University of Birmingham in accounting and finance, and though it is a very challenging university in terms of course content and assessments, it is definitely worth it. It would look very attractive to employers to get a 2:1 or 1st from UoB and especially those big four firms you want. I do not think a gap year is a wise choice since you have an offer from a very good university that has an acceptance standard where 13 out of 100 students roughly are accepted. If you are worried about employability, it is the least of your worries because UoB is highly appealing to employers, research this yourself too!
Also, the University of Birmingham now do offer placement years for the accounting and finance course with my cohort being the first to have this option. I think that placement year would be after year 2 and would account for 10% of your overall degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending