The Student Room Group

Chemistry help a level

What is observed when concentrated hydrochloric acid is added to an aqueous
solution of CuSO4 until no further change occurs?
[1 mark]
A A colourless gas is evolved and a precipitate forms.
B A colourless gas is evolved and no precipitate forms.
C A precipitate forms that dissolves in an excess of
concentrated hydrochloric acid.
D The solution changes colour and no precipitate*forms
I know it's D but I need help on why. I do aqa chemistry a level. Is this q based off of the process of elimination or smth*on*the*spec
Im assuming its true that the Cu2+ is in its aqua ion form and is actually [Cu(h20)6]2+. i thought it would react with the cl- from the hcl and entropy and stuff makes the ligand substitution feasible turning it into [Cu(cl)4]2-. But i searched it up and it's just displacement and makes it CuCl2+H2SO4. But why is it this and not the transition metal complex*stuff???
or am i meant to know bcs for both eqns the only products are cucl2, h2so4 and*[Cu(Cl)4]2-.
so a gas wouldn't be formed, eliminating both*A*and*B
all of these are ions so a ppt wouldn't form, eliminating*C
Leaving D

so either process of elimination is what im meant to do. if so, then why is it not a complex thing created but just a simple displacement? and is this eqn on the spec bcs i haven't*seen*it*b4

thank you
Original post by AntonSlayer
What is observed when concentrated hydrochloric acid is added to an aqueous
solution of CuSO4 until no further change occurs?
[1 mark]
A A colourless gas is evolved and a precipitate forms.
B A colourless gas is evolved and no precipitate forms.
C A precipitate forms that dissolves in an excess of
concentrated hydrochloric acid.
D The solution changes colour and no precipitate*forms
I know it's D but I need help on why. I do aqa chemistry a level. Is this q based off of the process of elimination or smth*on*the*spec
Im assuming its true that the Cu2+ is in its aqua ion form and is actually [Cu(h20)6]2+. i thought it would react with the cl- from the hcl and entropy and stuff makes the ligand substitution feasible turning it into [Cu(cl)4]2-. But i searched it up and it's just displacement and makes it CuCl2+H2SO4. But why is it this and not the transition metal complex*stuff???
or am i meant to know bcs for both eqns the only products are cucl2, h2so4 and*[Cu(Cl)4]2-.
so a gas wouldn't be formed, eliminating both*A*and*B
all of these are ions so a ppt wouldn't form, eliminating*C
Leaving D
so either process of elimination is what im meant to do. if so, then why is it not a complex thing created but just a simple displacement? and is this eqn on the spec bcs i haven't*seen*it*b4
thank you
It does make [CuCl4]2- complex, a yellow solution.
https://edu.rsc.org/exhibition-chemistry/a-spectacular-reversible-reaction/2020036.article#:~:text=When%20concentrated%20hydrochloric%20acid%20is,of%20a%20copper%20chloride%20complex.
‘When copper sulfate dissolves in water, the water molecules act as ligands, producing the complex ion [Cu(H2 O)6]2+. When concentrated hydrochloric acid is added, ligand exchange occurs:
[Cu(H2O)6]2+ + 4Cl- [CuCl4]2- + 6H2O’
Reply 2
Original post by BankaiGintoki
It does make [CuCl4]2- complex, a yellow solution.
https://edu.rsc.org/exhibition-chemistry/a-spectacular-reversible-reaction/2020036.article#:~:text=When%20concentrated%20hydrochloric%20acid%20is,of%20a%20copper%20chloride%20complex.
‘When copper sulfate dissolves in water, the water molecules act as ligands, producing the complex ion [Cu(H2 O)6]2+. When concentrated hydrochloric acid is added, ligand exchange occurs:
[Cu(H2O)6]2+ + 4Cl- [CuCl4]2- + 6H2O’

Thanks, I spent hours looking at this and researching. I did come across this site but I discounted it because I saw the CuCl2 a first so I thought the complex stuff was wrong. Thank you. Also is my reasoning for deducing the answer correct? Or is there something else at play?
Original post by AntonSlayer
Thanks, I spent hours looking at this and researching. I did come across this site but I discounted it because I saw the CuCl2 a first so I thought the complex stuff was wrong. Thank you. Also is my reasoning for deducing the answer correct? Or is there something else at play?
Reasoning correct.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending