The Student Room Group

WJEC Level 3 Criminology Diploma

I'm in Year 12 looking at Universities and have just realised that although this qualification is equivalent to an A Level that many top universities may not accept it. I was just wondering whether any Russel Groups do as I take it alongside 2 other A Levels and want to study either Law or Criminology, I also am on track for high grades in all 3.
Reply 1
For a Criminology degree it usually isnt an issue - but you should always check by emailing or phoning the Uni before you apply. Btw, a Criminology degree is just Sociology with a few different units and there isnt any job or career that requires a degree in Criminology.

For Law, it can be a problem as this WJEC Diploma is not 'the same' as an A level, whatever your school tells you. Its not of the same academic standard and Unis know this. Bristol, as one example, will not accept this for Law - they want 3 A levels. Again, you need to check carefully, Don't assume that because they might accept 2 A levels and a BTEC, that this means you can just substitute a WJEC Diploma. If its not specifically stated on the course page, or another page with general information about the qualifications that Uni accepts, then again you need to email or phone the Uni are ask.
UCL also dont accept this. You will be classed as having 2 A levels so wont get accepted. Maybe try Cardiff and other Welsh universities as they do.
Original post by swanseajack1
UCL also dont accept this. You will be classed as having 2 A levels so wont get accepted. Maybe try Cardiff and other Welsh universities as they do.

UCL accepts it for some courses, such as crime and security sciences, so dw!
That is the only degree level course it accepts it for. It generally does not accept it.

The WJEC Level 3 Applied Diploma in Criminology is only accepted for entry to the BSc Crime and Security Science programme, and the Engineering Foundation Year programmes. This qualification is not accepted for any other programme at UCL.
All other WJEC Applied Generals are not accepted for any UCL Undergraduate programme, except for the Engineering Foundation Year programmes.

Quick Reply