The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Should I accept Imperial or UCLs offer for chemical engineering?

Hi,
So I was accepted into both imperial and UCL for chemical engineering starting this coming September 2024. However I’m torn as to which offer to pick. Both seem like very strong courses. However imperial is of course top, and I’d assume has better career prospects.
While I am someone who enjoy academics and competitiveness, I also value a good social life and friends. I’ve heard mixed reviews about imperial regarding this. Some say the social life is decent while others say it’s awful and that it’s difficult to find a social circle of people to have fun with- understandable since it is such a challenging course.
Does anyone who’s either attending UCL or Imperial for chem eng (or anyone studying anything similar at any uni in general) have any advice? Is UCLs chem eng course strong enough to justify turning down imperial to have more of a work-life balance? Or would I be closing a lot of doors by turning down imperial- also is the social life as bad as some say?
Thank you!
a lot of ucl graduates for chemeng end up going into finance and tech rather than engineering following the course, personally i would go for imperial, has much greater hold with its name and i assume its teaching of the course is better than in ucl, where a lot of the lecturers are just researchers hence poorer teaching styles
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,
So I was accepted into both imperial and UCL for chemical engineering starting this coming September 2024. However I’m torn as to which offer to pick. Both seem like very strong courses. However imperial is of course top, and I’d assume has better career prospects.
While I am someone who enjoy academics and competitiveness, I also value a good social life and friends. I’ve heard mixed reviews about imperial regarding this. Some say the social life is decent while others say it’s awful and that it’s difficult to find a social circle of people to have fun with- understandable since it is such a challenging course.
Does anyone who’s either attending UCL or Imperial for chem eng (or anyone studying anything similar at any uni in general) have any advice? Is UCLs chem eng course strong enough to justify turning down imperial to have more of a work-life balance? Or would I be closing a lot of doors by turning down imperial- also is the social life as bad as some say?
Thank you!

I'm a first year at imperial, I feel a duty to rewrite the perception people have of imperials social life. I was also tied between UCL and Imperial, of course Imperial is a difficult uni, BUT you have to remember that there will be people like you in the same situation (ie wanting a good social life). I was super nervous about finding a group. Don't get me wrong I definitely had to search to find people but by the beginning of second term I had a super solid group. Of course there are super dry people here, but there are everywhere. Just join DJ Soc and you'll meet all the sick people. Remember that either way you'll be in London which is mental
Hi,
Thank you!

Hi please could you share your alevel subjects and grades if possible? Thanks
a lot of ucl graduates for chemeng end up going into finance and tech rather than engineering following the course, personally i would go for imperial, has much greater hold with its name and i assume its teaching of the course is better than in ucl, where a lot of the lecturers are just researchers hence poorer teaching styles

None of what you've said is unique to UCL - in most universities, the lecturers are researchers. It's quite unusual that someone only does teaching and no research in a university. Also plenty of Imperial graduates in engineering also go into finance and other not particularly-related fields.

Quick Reply