The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Rent mate at Bath

I looked at the crazy prices of accommodation at the University of Bath and compared what I could get +- for the same money if I rented an apartment with someone. I understand that if you rent an apartment with someone and split the payment, you can get very good living conditions and much cheaper. Does anyone know where I can find students who agree to rent an apartment for two? Some chats maybe or groups. And in general, is it worth doing this, otherwise I’m a little afraid (I think I have to know the person with whom I will leave for a while). Although, I think it's fun to live with a student. I'm a male btw. Any advices?
Reply 1
Original post by ppaden
I looked at the crazy prices of accommodation at the University of Bath and compared what I could get +- for the same money if I rented an apartment with someone. I understand that if you rent an apartment with someone and split the payment, you can get very good living conditions and much cheaper. Does anyone know where I can find students who agree to rent an apartment for two? Some chats maybe or groups. And in general, is it worth doing this, otherwise I’m a little afraid (I think I have to know the person with whom I will leave for a while). Although, I think it's fun to live with a student. I'm a male btw. Any advices?

Hi, most people do rent and share in second year onwards, but the majority of first years live on campus because if you've got lectures there, you will most likely end up spending more on travel getting up to campus every day than you'd save living away from uni accommodation.

That said, if you think you'll save more money, there is a good facebook group for finding housemates, it's called 'bath spa & uni of bath house/housemate finder' - there's usually quite a few people on there looking for housemates, although these do tend to be more groups of 3+ than two.

Regardless of whether you move into uni accommodation or a private flat, you're still not really going to know who you live with before you get there, and you won't find many other first years renting private accommodation. You are able to get in touch with the people you'll be living with if you end up in uni accommodation, and there are often group chats made before you move in so you can at least message them/set up a video call first.
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Quick Reply

Latest