The Student Room Group

how to stop thinking about my appearance

I have an obsession with just wasting so much time in the morning where I should have started with work, but instead I am just flipping through old photos of myself and trying to convince myself that I am somewhat pretty.
I am not a bad looking person, but when I see my photos, I feel so ugly and deflated. Thing is everyone else in the pictures to me looks how they do irl, so that means my photos are also how i look irl, but i hate that.

When i look in the mirror, sometimes I think i am a lil cute/pretty, but then other days I can waste so much time looking at myself and trying to see myself from a perspective that makes me look attractive. It's really unhealthy but I just want to look good. (FYI i don't wear makeup)

I have been called pretty a few times irl, both by friends and people i'm not close with/strangers. This boosts my confidence and for a while I actually believe i am pretty...until I hav a photo taken/see old photos. It completely ruins my esteem and makes me feel ugly again.
Idk why im writing this, ig i wanna rant cause i waste so much time thinking about how i look and its crazy that i just look in the mirror and act as if my face is going to change.

Anyone else deal with this? How differently do people view you compared to how you view yourself? 🥲
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I have an obsession with just wasting so much time in the morning where I should have started with work, but instead I am just flipping through old photos of myself and trying to convince myself that I am somewhat pretty.
I am not a bad looking person, but when I see my photos, I feel so ugly and deflated. Thing is everyone else in the pictures to me looks how they do irl, so that means my photos are also how i look irl, but i hate that.
When i look in the mirror, sometimes I think i am a lil cute/pretty, but then other days I can waste so much time looking at myself and trying to see myself from a perspective that makes me look attractive. It's really unhealthy but I just want to look good. (FYI i don't wear makeup)
I have been called pretty a few times irl, both by friends and people i'm not close with/strangers. This boosts my confidence and for a while I actually believe i am pretty...until I hav a photo taken/see old photos. It completely ruins my esteem and makes me feel ugly again.
Idk why im writing this, ig i wanna rant cause i waste so much time thinking about how i look and its crazy that i just look in the mirror and act as if my face is going to change.
Anyone else deal with this? How differently do people view you compared to how you view yourself? 🥲

I think there may be several things going on here.
One is self-esteem. Another may be intrusive thoughts or compulsive behaviour. It would be worth ruling out anxiety, depression and body dysmorphia.
The best place to start with this is a GP appointment, to talk about your feelings and the behaviour. They can signpost you for appropriate help. Don’t just sit and suffer with this. It may be nothing, but it could be something and it’s best to nip shizz in the bud before it becomes really entrenched or spirals. Life’s short; do what you need to sort stuff out.
Original post by Anonymous

Hey, I used to think that I never looked pretty either. I feel you, and it can always be a burden thinking about my appearance all the time. Similar to you, I had strangers complement me and I would feel really good about myself, and then there will be days where I just hate the way I look. Honestly, now I just don't care, and I tell myself I look really good (which I think i do lol). I know its easier said than done, but I've experienced it myself. You want to accept yourself, as in anything you wear or do, you should be happy, because that's all that matters. And don't worry because everyone has those days where its a bad hair day, or bad face day, it is normal. Everyone faces their own problems, you're not alone. I hope this makes you feel a bit better, sorry if it wasn't much help.

Quick Reply