The Student Room Group

student finance relationship and living status query

Hi, I am currently applying for student finance for my PGCE. Currently My primary address is my mother's house but in August I will be moving in together with my partner and will be financially independent from my parents. Should I say I am single or living with a partner on my student finance application? I am 24, turning 25 in Feb if that changes anything?
Original post by cat3200
Hi, I am currently applying for student finance for my PGCE. Currently My primary address is my mother's house but in August I will be moving in together with my partner and will be financially independent from my parents. Should I say I am single or living with a partner on my student finance application? I am 24, turning 25 in Feb if that changes anything?

Hi Cat, when does your PGCE begin? If it's in September then you'd need to be 25 prior to the 1st of September to be classed as independent. If it's after this date your mum would still provide her details to support the application even if you are not financially dependant on her or living with her. Unless you had 3 years of self support prior to the start of your course. Thanks, Jason
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Jason
Hi Cat, when does your PGCE begin? If it's in September then you'd need to be 25 prior to the 1st of September to be classed as independent. If it's after this date your mum would still provide her details to support the application even if you are not financially dependant on her or living with her. Unless you had 3 years of self support prior to the start of your course. Thanks, Jason

so should I say I am living with parents even though I won't be for the year of study?
Original post by Cat3200
so should I say I am living with parents even though I won't be for the year of study?

No. You'd click 'living away from home' and you'd be assessed on the 'elsewhere' rate. But if you previously had your application supported by your parents then they would still do this. Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending