The Student Room Group

what to do after yr10 mocks?!

Heyy!
I recently did my yr 10 mocks & got all the results back, and ik it sounds dumb but I was just wondering what I should do next? e.g. make flashcards (I didn't have time to make them for my mocks!), practice questions, make other resources, and if so what? etc
I've heard yr 11 can be rlly intense and just want to make my life a bit easier for next year... 😬
Here's what I got on my mocks btw:
- geography 67% (7)
- english lang 69% (7)
- english lit 72% (7)
- physics 74% (9)
- chemistry 87% (9)
- bio 81% (9)
- maths 87% (6) apparently the highest you can get in yr 10 is a 7!
- computer science 57% (5) 🤕
- food tech 84% (8)
- rs 90% (9)
As you can see, not the best set of results (and not what I was hoping for! 🤭), but I'm hoping I can get better and try to get 9s on as many subjects as possible!
Any suggestions would be appreciated!
THANKS!! 🙃
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by infamous.nugget
Heyy!
I recently did my yr 10 mocks & got all the results back, and ik it sounds dumb but I was just wondering what I should do next? e.g. make flashcards (I didn't have time to make them for my mocks!), practice questions, make other resources, and if so what? etc
I've heard yr 11 can be rlly intense and just want to make my life a bit easier for next year... 😬
- geography 67% (7)
- english lang 69% (7)
- english lit 72% (7)
- physics 74% (9)
- chemistry 87% (9)
- bio 81% (9)
- food tech 84% (8)
- rs 90% (9)
As you can see, not the best set of results (and not what I was hoping for! 🤭), but I'm hoping I can get better and try to get 9s on as many subjects as possible!
THANKS!! 🙃

spacedd repetitionnnnnnn and learn paper 2 science early you will love urself
Heyy!
- geography 67% (7)
- english lang 69% (7)
- english lit 72% (7)
- physics 74% (9)
- chemistry 87% (9)
- bio 81% (9)
- food tech 84% (8)
- rs 90% (9)
THANKS!! 🙃

Hey!

These are really great results!! It’s only y10 so if you remain consistant in your progress you are sure to get your target grades!

I’m in y11 rn and I would say that at this stage of y10 it’s really important to make sure that you have good revision resources. Anything from flash cards, to mind maps or revision notes that condense the material into concise and easy to memorise content. You will thank your past self like I have been when you have something easy to revise off of rather than pages and pages of notes.

I would also say make sure to make a document for each subject and list all of your weaknesses that came up in your exams. And then throughout the summer holidays you can work on these weaknesses

It’s also worth going through and organising your notes especially if you use folders or type notes, just printing things out and getting organised will really help

As well as this now is a really good time to build a good relationship with your teachers. Talk to them about how the exam went and ask for help in weak topics. Even if you don’t feel like you need help now having an existing bond with them if you get desperate for help during y11 will help (I wish I did this)

I feel like at this stage it’s just really important to get organised and prepare yourself for y11. This includes taking a break!! Please don’t go on a crazy study spree like I did and get burnt out, this happened to me and I ended up not doing anything for most of y11.

So just stop, recognise that you’ve done really well, organise notes and prepare revision resources for next year, note your weaknesses, build bridges with teachers, maybe do some maintenance revision during the summer holidays and I’m sure you’ll do fantastic!!!
Original post by ughghdhghfdfgf
spacedd repetitionnnnnnn and learn paper 2 science early you will love urself

thankss!!
Original post by tryphenalee2
Hey!
These are really great results!! It’s only y10 so if you remain consistant in your progress you are sure to get your target grades!
I’m in y11 rn and I would say that at this stage of y10 it’s really important to make sure that you have good revision resources. Anything from flash cards, to mind maps or revision notes that condense the material into concise and easy to memorise content. You will thank your past self like I have been when you have something easy to revise off of rather than pages and pages of notes.
I would also say make sure to make a document for each subject and list all of your weaknesses that came up in your exams. And then throughout the summer holidays you can work on these weaknesses
It’s also worth going through and organising your notes especially if you use folders or type notes, just printing things out and getting organised will really help
As well as this now is a really good time to build a good relationship with your teachers. Talk to them about how the exam went and ask for help in weak topics. Even if you don’t feel like you need help now having an existing bond with them if you get desperate for help during y11 will help (I wish I did this)
I feel like at this stage it’s just really important to get organised and prepare yourself for y11. This includes taking a break!! Please don’t go on a crazy study spree like I did and get burnt out, this happened to me and I ended up not doing anything for most of y11.
So just stop, recognise that you’ve done really well, organise notes and prepare revision resources for next year, note your weaknesses, build bridges with teachers, maybe do some maintenance revision during the summer holidays and I’m sure you’ll do fantastic!!!

thanks sm! that was so helpful :wink:
what revision resources do you think are worth making/most beneficial to come back to in the future?
also which revision resources did you make and found helpful?
thanks sm! that was so helpful :wink:
what revision resources do you think are worth making/most beneficial to come back to in the future?
also which revision resources did you make and found helpful?

No problem!

For geography I would recommend flash cards of key definitions and concepts. And most importantly case studies, these are so helpful to flick through right before an exam!

For English language even though it’s mostly exam technique and not so much content (depending on exam board) it is really helpful to make a set of instructions on how to answer the questions. I often find that how to answer the eng lang questions is very formulaic. (This was really helpful for me as some one who panicks and forgets exam technique under time pressure)

For eng lit I would recommend mindmaps with key themes or characters/relationships in the centre with key quotes and interpretations around it and for poetry, a perfectly annotated copy of each poem that you can revise off

Then for all three sciences i recommend quizlets of key concepts and common mistakes and hand written flash cards of those topics that you just can’t seem to remember (for me this was the eyes-now im pro at the eyes lol)

For maths, even though the best method of revision is just practice it is worth making summary notes to look back on, on your weakest topics. And for those types of questions that always come up but you always seem to get wrong I recommend watching a video on it and making a general set of instructions for that type of question. I found this insanely helpful especially for the last few questions of the paper.

I’m not sure about computing or food tech or rs since I don’t take those subjects but if they are more sciencey I recommend flash cards but if they are anything like history, so content heavy and thematic (which I imagine rs would be) I would recommend mindmaps with the central theme in the centre.

I hope this helps! Hopefully people who take your other subjects reply! 🙂
No problem!
For geography I would recommend flash cards of key definitions and concepts. And most importantly case studies, these are so helpful to flick through right before an exam!
For English language even though it’s mostly exam technique and not so much content (depending on exam board) it is really helpful to make a set of instructions on how to answer the questions. I often find that how to answer the eng lang questions is very formulaic. (This was really helpful for me as some one who panicks and forgets exam technique under time pressure)
For eng lit I would recommend mindmaps with key themes or characters/relationships in the centre with key quotes and interpretations around it and for poetry, a perfectly annotated copy of each poem that you can revise off
Then for all three sciences i recommend quizlets of key concepts and common mistakes and hand written flash cards of those topics that you just can’t seem to remember (for me this was the eyes-now im pro at the eyes lol)
For maths, even though the best method of revision is just practice it is worth making summary notes to look back on, on your weakest topics. And for those types of questions that always come up but you always seem to get wrong I recommend watching a video on it and making a general set of instructions for that type of question. I found this insanely helpful especially for the last few questions of the paper.
I’m not sure about computing or food tech or rs since I don’t take those subjects but if they are more sciencey I recommend flash cards but if they are anything like history, so content heavy and thematic (which I imagine rs would be) I would recommend mindmaps with the central theme in the centre.

Sorry for the essay lol
Heyy!
- geography 67% (7)
- english lang 69% (7)
- english lit 72% (7)
- physics 74% (9)
- chemistry 87% (9)
- bio 81% (9)
- food tech 84% (8)
- rs 90% (9)
THANKS!! 🙃

These are really good grades! Coming from a year 11, If you don’t understand a topic, ask your teachers bc they WILL help you the most.
The summer that’s coming up will give you a lot of time to make revision resources ready for y11 Flashcards Are a good all-rounder for most subjects.
I suggest understand everything before memorising it, understanding a topic really does help.
No problem!

thank you!! I'll defo use those techniques!
and good luck on your gcses!
Original post by mayarpapayar
These are really good grades! Coming from a year 11, If you don’t understand a topic, ask your teachers bc they WILL help you the most.
The summer that’s coming up will give you a lot of time to make revision resources ready for y11 Flashcards Are a good all-rounder for most subjects.
I suggest understand everything before memorising it, understanding a topic really does help.

thanks so much!
and good luck to you as well on your gcses!!
thank you!! I'll defo use those techniques!
and good luck on your gcses!

Thank uuu!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending