The Student Room Group

I didn’t take maths or physics can I still do design engineering in university

I want to do a design engineering course at university (product design as a backup), but I didn’t take maths or any sciences. My parents are also pretty pushy about getting into a good university since all my relatives are going to places like Cambridge or Oxford. The subjects that I took are (predicted)
Product design (A/B)
Engineering (distinction)
Photography (A*/A)
Core maths (A)

A lot of the top universities that I have looked at needed at A* in maths or a science and I don’t know if there are any other good universities that may accept me.

Any advice?
Reply 1
Original post by Hktli0
I want to do a design engineering course at university (product design as a backup), but I didn’t take maths or any sciences. My parents are also pretty pushy about getting into a good university since all my relatives are going to places like Cambridge or Oxford. The subjects that I took are (predicted)
Product design (A/B)
Photography (A*/A)
Core maths (A)
A lot of the top universities that I have looked at needed at A* in maths or a science and I don’t know if there are any other good universities that may accept me.
Any advice?

You may want to look into foundation years for engineering if you don’t meet the requirements of the courses you’re interested in. Many top universities will offer this pathway to students who didn’t study the appropriate subjects for engineering. UCL is an example of a top university that offers a foundation year in engineering, which will allow you to progress into your chosen degree upon completion.
Reply 2
Original post by Hktli0
Product design (A/B)
Photography (A*/A)
Core maths (A)
Any advice?

i mean you've done a course in engineering so logically i don't see why you'd need physics as you have literally done a pre course in a course you want to take. You could always email unis asking about if you meet the entry requirements if you're unsure and i'm pretty sure you'd still be able to do a foundation year if not
Reply 3
Southampton Foundation in Engineering specifically for those who don't have the 'right' A levels - Engineering/Physics/Maths Foundation Year | University of Southampton and other Unis may have similar courses.

Quick Reply