The Student Room Group

optometry at Glasgow Caledonian and Cardiff university

Hello, my name is Divya and I am from India. I have applied for the MSc Advanced Ophthalmology and Research program at Glasgow Caledonian University, as well as for the MSc Clinical Optometry program at Cardiff University for the September 2024 intake. I have already received an offer letter from Glasgow, and my interview for Cardiff is scheduled for this coming Wednesday.

I have two questions:
1. Do you have any idea what they might ask me during the Cardiff interview?
2. Which university is considered to be the best for optometry between these two?
Hello! I haven’t done much research on Glasgow Caledonian University so someone else may have to help with that, however earlier this week I had my interview for MSc Optometry at Cardiff so I can tell you abit about my experience.

For my interview, I prepared a lot of answers surrounding why I want to attend Cardiff, why I would like to be an optometrist and my aspirations for the future etcetera (normal interview subjects) however they didn’t ask me any of that.

They asked me a lot of science (specifically physics and chemistry) and maths questions, so don’t be caught off guard if they do the same to you, I was and it made me nervous going forward with the interview!
They then asked me about my work experience before finally asking me whether I had any questions for them.

I am not sure if any one else has had similar questions, or whether that was individual to my interview, therefore I would still prepare answers like why you want to go to Cardiff and make sure you research the university just in case!

As they didn’t ask me any of the questions I was expecting, the questions I asked them were crucial to show my enthusiasm for the course and university, so definitely make sure you prepare your own questions!
If I never asked any of my own, I would never have been able to show my knowledge of the university, the course, career, research opportunities etcetera.

The maths questions they asked me really put me off as I’ve personally not studied maths since GCSE level 3 years ago, so I’m a little rusty! However yesterday I received my offer, so if you get nervous, stutter or don’t know the answer, you’ll be fine, I was!
Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by Laurenmoorre
Hello! I haven’t done much research on Glasgow Caledonian University so someone else may have to help with that, however earlier this week I had my interview for MSc Optometry at Cardiff so I can tell you abit about my experience.
For my interview, I prepared a lot of answers surrounding why I want to attend Cardiff, why I would like to be an optometrist and my aspirations for the future etcetera (normal interview subjects) however they didn’t ask me any of that.
They asked me a lot of science (specifically physics and chemistry) and maths questions, so don’t be caught off guard if they do the same to you, I was and it made me nervous going forward with the interview!
They then asked me about my work experience before finally asking me whether I had any questions for them.
I am not sure if any one else has had similar questions, or whether that was individual to my interview, therefore I would still prepare answers like why you want to go to Cardiff and make sure you research the university just in case!
As they didn’t ask me any of the questions I was expecting, the questions I asked them were crucial to show my enthusiasm for the course and university, so definitely make sure you prepare your own questions!
If I never asked any of my own, I would never have been able to show my knowledge of the university, the course, career, research opportunities etcetera.
The maths questions they asked me really put me off as I’ve personally not studied maths since GCSE level 3 years ago, so I’m a little rusty! However yesterday I received my offer, so if you get nervous, stutter or don’t know the answer, you’ll be fine, I was!
Good luck!

Thank you so much
Hope we meet at Cardiff
What's your opinion about these two universities (Cardiff and Glasgow) when it's comes to optometry.
Original post by divya857
Thank you so much
Hope we meet at Cardiff
What's your opinion about these two universities (Cardiff and Glasgow) when it's comes to optometry.

Hello, like I said before I don’t know much about Glasgow Caledonian University as it was not one of the ones I applied to…
There will be pros for both, Cardiff is a Russel group university, meaning they have the top research and teaching facilities.
I also know that Glasgow Caledonian University offer a 5 year course including independent prescribing, so the better course just depends on your preferences, mine are research, so I chose Cardiff.

If you still can’t decide it might be worth researching the course modules and the layout to see which one suits you more, that is what I did and the differences in modules the universities offered helped me decide.

I hope this helped.
Reply 4
Original post by Laurenmoorre
Hello, like I said before I don’t know much about Glasgow Caledonian University as it was not one of the ones I applied to…
There will be pros for both, Cardiff is a Russel group university, meaning they have the top research and teaching facilities.
I also know that Glasgow Caledonian University offer a 5 year course including independent prescribing, so the better course just depends on your preferences, mine are research, so I chose Cardiff.
If you still can’t decide it might be worth researching the course modules and the layout to see which one suits you more, that is what I did and the differences in modules the universities offered helped me decide.
I hope this helped.

Hi, this helps me a lot
Thank you💥

Quick Reply

Latest