The Student Room Group

Do apprenticeships in my area of interest actually exist?

I have quite broad interests, but in the region of science (with a preference towards biology) or geography - I'd love to be able to do something to help the planet, such as being a part of the fight against global warming and its various impacts on the environment.
Alternatively, I'd like to go down the route of helping people, which is even more general.

I've realised university probably isn't the best idea for me, due to personal issues in my life at the moment, but I don't know if it's even possible to do anything of the sorts without a degree, especially considering how ambitious it is.
Reply 1
Original post by vee.hmm
I have quite broad interests, but in the region of science (with a preference towards biology) or geography - I'd love to be able to do something to help the planet, such as being a part of the fight against global warming and its various impacts on the environment.
Alternatively, I'd like to go down the route of helping people, which is even more general.
I've realised university probably isn't the best idea for me, due to personal issues in my life at the moment, but I don't know if it's even possible to do anything of the sorts without a degree, especially considering how ambitious it is.

Have a look into environmental management or environmental sciences, if you're quite hands on you could try looking at forest ranger roles, I did some work experience at one of largest national trust sites in the uk, and it was a blast, got to help people, manage the forest, work on small projects, would highly recommend you look into it, even had the opportunity to go around with a scientist studying the rare local beetle population, essentially had a chance to do everything, there are some NGO (non governmental organisations) that focus on sustainability of woodland areas and conservation work, have a look at those too. Hope you find something that satisfy your need :smile:
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply