The Student Room Group

Further Maths A-level

Should I take further maths for A-level or physics. I'm taking computer science and maths a long with it and I enjoy maths but dislike physics but I'm a bit intimidated by the amount of work needed to be put in for further maths.
Reply 1
Do you have any idea what you want to do later on in life? I know that if you wanted to do engineering you would need maths and physics. If you don't like physics I also don't think it's a great idea to take it for A- Level because it is a big step up from GCSE and is really difficult so i personally wouldn't reccomend it. If maths is your strong suit like you've go an 8/9 at GCSE and done GCSE further maths you could do A - Level further maths even though it is quite tricky but YOU HAVE TO LOVE MATHS.
Reply 2
I take Physics (Edexcel), and Further Maths (OCR MEI), and I’m going to study Physics and Maths at uni.

If you’re good at remembering lots of information, I’d recommend physics over further maths. There is a lot of applied maths in physics, but it’s about 40:60 maths : words. For example, the third paper (at least for Edexcel) is practical heavy with no multiple choice questions, and every paper has 2 wordy six markers, and it isn’t always clear what the six marking points are.

Further maths is definitely easier to study/prepare for, and is very interesting (after finding out I’d received an A for the AS, I actually quit Chemistry, so that I could continue with it), so I’d encourage you to give it a go. I got a 7 at GCSE and I’m predicted an A, so as long as you put in the effort, and ask for help before topics become a problem, the content shouldn’t be as intimidating as it first looks.

What’s really good about taking Physics, Maths, AND Further Maths is that all the courses overlap, ESPECIALLY for mechanics. I’d encourage you to take all four options for a bit (if that’s possible), and then drop whichever one isn’t working for you.
Reply 3
Original post by username7012644
Should I take further maths for A-level or physics. I'm taking computer science and maths a long with it and I enjoy maths but dislike physics but I'm a bit intimidated by the amount of work needed to be put in for further maths.

If you don't like Physics, don't go for it at A level. I didn't like Physics (though I was decent at it) so went for Chemistry instead (which I like far more than Physics). You have no idea how work intensive Physics actually is and you'd end up doing more for Physics than you would for Further Maths (I have friends doing Physics, and trust me when I say that the amount of work they have to put in for it is INSANE! They're smart individuals as well so it's not like it's them not doing the work but it's how difficult the tests are).

I'm currently in Year 13 and do Further Maths. Don't get me wrong, it is quite hard but having finished the course, I feel that the difficulty of the subject is kind of exaggerated than what it actually is. I felt that I wouldn't be able to do it in Year 11 and there is no point in me even thinking about taking it but now I'm actually doing it and it doesn't seem as bad. If you really, really enjoy Maths, then definitely go for it. I initially did Computing, Biology, Chemistry and Maths but found A level Maths super boring and unchallenging. I liked Maths for the challenge it offered so I decided to take the plunge and swap Biology for Further Maths (I was initially unsure whether I wanted to go for medicine or Computing at uni but then went with Computing in the end) and it was the best decision I made. Biology was so dry and boring for me and the fast pace of Further Maths made me enjoy it a lot more.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending